333 FSB

ral

This is not really Linux specific but I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to adjust the multiplier of an XP1700 as follows:

Current: 11*133 = 1467 to 9*166 = 1494.

The main reason is to run both my memory (DDR333) and FSB at the same speed which should result in a performance boost. At the same time I would not be running to far from Spec. speeds so stability should be okay.

Hi ral

Did you switch to MDk now ?

For your question, I thing the following:

Worthwhile yes since your memory and fsb would run at the same speed but _safe_ I don't know. I never changed my fsb. I only changed the multiplier to run my Duron 1300 (13*100) at 1500 (15*100). Don't even know if I can change my fsb btw .. lol .. so forget about my post buddy...

MOttS

ral, I am thinking about getting a new board and a 1700xp. What board do you have?

By the way, AMD used to overclock better utilizing fsb rather than multiplier. I haven't overclocked since I aquired an Athlon gig cpu, but that was a while ago. I ran a Duron 750 at 950 stable before I got the Athlon.

This is not really Linux specific but I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to adjust the multiplier of an XP1700 as follows:

Current: 11*133 = 1467 to 9*166 = 1494.

The main reason is to run both my memory (DDR333) and FSB at the same speed which should result in a performance boost. At the same time I would not be running to far from Spec. speeds so stability should be okay.

If you have a Thoroughbred Athlon XP, this is my advice to you.

You are not going far enough.. Go straightway to 11*166 = 1835. Look in my sigs. That's a stable overclock, with regular quiet cooler and thermal gunkI got for only 8 bux. All that with default voltage and multiplier, just changing my fsb to 166 mhz. And the temperature never go beyond 45 degrees celcius even after running seti@home all day and all night. I can go even further actually, but I don't want to open my heatsink and apply arctic silver just to get a few degrees cooler. I have seen people going over 2 ghz range out of TBred B core 1700+ stable with air cooling. Just make sure your RAM and MB support it though. My Epox 8RDA+ is made for overclockers, so it's stable as a rock. Better than the piece of junk that is ECS K7S5A.

Guest boonders

Just to throw my 2 cents in.,..Assuming you unlocked your processor, I like the previous posts recommended speed for FSB, and multiplier

Also, the A7V8X by ASUS is very nice, get the deluxe...gigabit,serial ATA, all the goodies, and it also, was born to overclock.

Actually, I am a cheapskate when it comes to PC hardware... I actually have a XP1700 Palomino on a ECS K7S6A... but since are aleays buying new pC;s for hte shop... I was thinking of sending over my current Mobo/Proc/Memory to the shop and using one of the XP1700 Thoroughbred's and DDR333 memory we just purchased....

I am planning to use a Epox K8HAL+ (thats a $55 KT266a which unlocks the multiplier on Athlon XP's and is able to accomodate DDR 333 memory thoug offficaly it is ony rated at DDR266) or maybe a KT400...

NForce 2 looks good, but a bit pricey still....

I am not sure how good the overclockability of Epox K8HAL+ since I never heard of it. In fact, since it is KT266A, I figure there will be problems with compatibility, via is infamous of that (why do you think I switch to NForce2?).

If you upgrade motherboard, I think it's better for you to go at least KT333. I heard that KT400 is not that great because it's actually slower than KT333. Good choice with epox though. For me it has the perfect balance between performance, overclockability, stability, and price. I think my Epox EP-7KXA Slot A mb is still running smoothly although I am not certain since it is in a different state, under the "care" of my friend, using it as a guinea pig :)

I think there are some cheaper NForce2 MicroATX board out there, for just a little bit more than a KT400 boards though.. check it out.. and always check the reviews.

Probably right... better of with a KT333 or NForce2. Unfortunately all this will have to wait. Was planning to pick up two XP1700's today, but what they had on stock were Palomino's. So I only got one instead and reserve a Thoroughbred B when it arrives.

Any feedback on the Epox 8K5A?

I've been using the Epox 8K3AE (KT333) for about a month now and I'm very happy with it. It's coupled to a XP 1800 which is not overclocked and serves my purposes.

As far as I can tell from reviews of this board, I'm not using it to it's full potential re overclocking, gaming,etc, but I can't be bothered with that unless performance is lacking, which it isn't.

I noticed a huge performance increase over my previous setup, Aopen KT133 board with K6 400 cpu, but that's to be expected