Video problem with VirtualPC

Guest SteM

Hi all,

i'm installing Mandriva CD (Mandriva-One-Americas-Western-Europe-2006-CD.iso ) into a session of VitualPC 2004.

The boot process is ok until it arrives to setup screens, then the window size is doubled in horizontal and the view is bad; with some odds is it possible to view some dialog and then i can go on. When the desktop is shown there are again an odd view.

The Mandrake 10 (and any other distros) installation was OK.

I try with vga=791 as command line option but nothing changed: the text rows scrolled and here view was ok. When it arrives to first setup screens (and to the desktop) it blows.

Is there any solution ?

Thanks a lot !

Thanks,

but how can i do it ?

The only insertion point is on the boot command line .... 'vga=vesa' ?

Is there a way when i will be in the (messy and part-of) desktop? Maybe if i have not to open a lot of menu levels or windows, i should be able to change the settings, but i'm a n00b and i don't know how :unsure:

Thanks

Best way is this. Boot the system, when you see the GUI or even if it's not working correctly, do this:

CTRL-ALT-F1 (to switch to a console screen)
Login as root and enter your root password
service dm stop (stops running X server)
mcc

when mcc loads, go into display, and configure your graphics in here, then when finished, you can reboot the system using:

reboot

or try with:

service dm start
ALT-F7 (to get the GUI)

and see if it's any better.

Thanks again !

Now it works !

CTRL-ALT-F1 was not working but i was able to open a shell and then i stopped dm: i stayed in a text shell and then i was able to lauch mcc and change display settings.

thanks, thanks, thanks !!

:D

Is there a way now to start an installation from the iso live ?

There is, unfortunately, I've never used the Live CD so can't help you on that. I normally just use the 2006 disks as I never downloaded the Live CD.

I would have thought it would have been somewhere in the gui off the Live CD once it's booted.