iPod Problems

beatnik

When I plug my iPod into the computer, the iPod stays on its "Do Not Disconnect" screen. I've tried it on other computers, and it works fine. Another thing; when I try to do anything with it on AmaroK, AmaroK craps out on me and quits entirely. :wall:

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

As far as I know, that is what the iPod is supposed to do when it's mounted. If you are wanting it to be connected (charging) but still useable, just "eject" the drive. Your iPod will then return to it's menu tree.

For managing your iPod, I would suggest using gtkpod instead of amarok. The newest version even has support for video.

The screen doing that is normal.

Amarok crashing isn't. Maybe you could try updating Amarok?

I've used it a couple of times now, and it works great... but

I'm running the latest version of Amarok, updated with Smart.

Also, before you disconnect it, go to 'My Computer', right-click

on the entry 'ipod' and choose 'safely remove'.

You might also give Banshee a try, it works with ipods too.

Will also tell you if the crash is specific to amarok. Not 100%

sure, but I think Banshee also synchs automatically.

I prefer the way it's done in amaroK since my entire music collection

would NEVER fit on my 1GB ipod nano... so I can selectively copy and

delete songs to and from the ipod.

When I plug my iPod into the computer, the iPod stays on its "Do Not Disconnect" screen. I've tried it on other computers, and it works fine. Another thing; when I try to do anything with it on AmaroK, AmaroK craps out on me and quits entirely. :wall:

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Edited by Darkelve

The iPod will display that screen under Linux, even if unmounted. You can write a little script to completely release the device and get it to act more like it would on a Mac, but this isn't necessary. You are not damaging your iPod by disconnecting it when it says 'Do not disconnect'. So long as you have unmounted it you should be fine.

On the subject of Amarok - ditch it. And don't use gtkpod either - it's very messy. The best application for managing an iPod under Linux is Banshee. Once you see how well it works you won't want to take your pod near anything else ;)

SoulSe, my Ipod video will return to menu tree and stop displaying the "do not disconnect" message with a simple "eject". No addl. scripting was necessary.

On the topic of Banshee, will it also support the transfer of video (m4v) files to the iPod? I use gtkpod because it's the only one I could find that would facilitate this. If Banshee works, I'd love to use something "prettier".