Writing ISO image to a DVD [solved]

i have just finished downloading fedora core 5 dvd image worth 3.02 gb. but the file seems like a zipped package so can any one please tell me as whether i can write this to a dvd as an iso image or i need to do something else. thanks. i have attached the screenshot to help people understand my question.cheers.

post-12757-1156682981_thumb.jpg

Aha, then maybe the real filename is "FC-5-i386-DVD.iso" but you've got Windows Explorer configured to hide the extension "iso" and add a misleading description "WinRAR archive"... So in that case it is an iso after all.

It's normally a good idea to check the md5 checksum before you burn, just to make sure there were no errors in the download. But if you've got this far you might as well try booting from it and see what happens!

Good luck! :D

Oops, my bad - I assumed that Fedora would publish the MD5 sums, as that is what I'm familiar with when I've downloaded isos. What I should have said was "it's normally a good idea to check the checksum" because in this case Fedora have decided to publish the sha1 sums instead of the md5 ones.

It's a bit of a catch-22 because it's easy to check the sha1 sum from a linux system - you just type sha1sum. However, assuming you've only got windows and you're downloading a linux iso then you would have to find a program somewhere to calculate it.

After a bit of googling, this link looks useful, although I've not tried it.

If you used BitTorrent, the chances are already pretty high that it was successful.

Did you check the filename of the downloaded file in the File properties of explorer or with a dir command from the console? Is it a .iso?

thanks for the reply. i have just started the installation and at the moment it seems to be going well. only 30 mins to go. will let you know once the process is over. but again the same question as whether in order to run php pages do i need to use the same default directory as u told me before ie /var/www/html/? appreciate your help.

Edited by tech291083

Hi all,

Thanks a lot for the help. Now the newly Fedora 5 seems to be working fine. Since I am quite new to linux world actually only a month old to be honest, i am trying mybest to learn as much as ican through this forum and particularly with the community guys like you. thanks again and keep helping me as i would be back soon with some more hedache for u. Have a nice weekend guys.