Dell battery

neddie

Obviously I read about the Dell battery recall, and I carefully checked the serial number on the base of my machine with the list on their website. No match, so my battery is not affected by the recall. Phew! :thumbs:

Then today, I realise that if you take the battery out, there's another, identical-looking serial number sticker on the other side. And that one matches their list, so I've got to get my battery replaced. :angry:

And as well as the inconvenience of sending my battery back and getting a replacement delivered, it also means my laptop is a fire risk :(

Obviously I read about the Dell battery recall, and I carefully checked the serial number on the base of my machine with the list on their website. No match, so my battery is not affected by the recall. Phew! :thumbs:

Then today, I realise that if you take the battery out, there's another, identical-looking serial number sticker on the other side. And that one matches their list, so I've got to get my battery replaced. :angry:

And as well as the inconvenience of sending my battery back and getting a replacement delivered, it also means my laptop is a fire risk :(

Do you get a new battery?

Personally I find that batteries are what kill most laptops.... by the time it dies they don't sell the model anymore so you end up throwing it away or tethered. I'd count this as lucky getting a new battery :D

ahem... yes with a little inconvenience but hey....it helps to look on the bright side!

Yeah you're right, I get (or should get) a brand new battery so I can't grumble too much. Might even extend the life of the laptop as you say. As long as the 4 million batteries that they've somehow managed to get hold of at pretty short notice aren't some cheap hack just to satisfy the sudden demand.

What's more annoying is that I thought I was clear, I checked it as soon as I heard about the recall and followed their instructions:

These part numbers are printed on the back of the battery packs as illustrated below.
Well which is the 'back'? I saw my sticker which looked exactly like the one illustrated, on the underside of the machine next to the battery. So I assumed I was ok. But you have to take the battery out to see the other sticker on the other side. Maybe other mubbles made the same mistake??

Yeah anyway. So they say it'll take 20 days for the new one to get sent, and in the meantime they recommend to take out the battery and just run from mains. Except then there's a dirty big hole on the underside of the laptop with electrical contacts and stuff, that I'm guessing wouldn't take kindly to having cack get in there.