If your operating system could do anything for you

Darkelve

Having had more of a think, it would be handy if Linux could run photoshop,illustrator and microsoft office (although OpenOffice does most of the MS stuff OK) natively. It would make my life easier!

Take a look here:

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/toplists/

Illustrator, no luck I'm afraid...

Would be better native though, than having to rely on wine and it not working correctly.

Lotus Notes 7 is supposed to have a native Linux client apparently, I can't wait for my company to get it, cos I'd prefer this than using wine and Lotus Notes 6.5.3.

I'd just like it to keep out of the way and let me run the applications smoothly and reliably. I'd like my kicker not to die (I know that's the DE, not the OS) and I'd like the applications using sound to play nicely with each other and not block each other (again, apps, not OS). I'd like it to shut down when I tell it to. Simple things. I don't care too much about wobbly windows and semi-transparent glassy stuff cos my hardware wouldn't cope with it anyway. Don't need a 3d interface.

What I did like the idea of though was Apple's recent announcement that Leopard will have a built-in revision control system, called the "Time Machine" - instead of just overwriting a text file for example, it'll store the previous version in the repository automatically. So two weeks later you can say "what was that file like before?" and it'll tell you without you ever having knowingly stored it there. That sounds neat.