Can't access Internet

Peter Chatterton

I don't have much experience with Linux, especially not recently, and am trying to access the Internet having installed Mandriva 2006 x86 DVD from CheapBytes on a PIII IBM NetVista.

It's a Speedstream modem with USB or Ethernet connection, I'm using the Ethernet for both my windows box and the Linux.

I used the Mandrake Control Center > Setup new network interface with ADSL and PPPoE.

I tried it with and without the DNS data. I also confirmed the user name & password with my ISP (Bell Sympatico in Ontario, Canada)

The Ethernet and DSL leds came on and occasionally the Activity led but eventually it said: The system does not seem to be connected to the internet.

Under Hardware > Options I tried auto-detecting the modem and it gave a warning that the gstreamer-alsa package wasn't installed; it then seemed to install it.

Thanks for your help,

Peter.

Welcome to the board :beer:

Are you saying that now after installing gstreamer it's working, or that you still have problems?

Does your isp give static or dhcp ip's? Check for dhcp packages being installed:

rpm -qa | grep dhcp

your output should look something like this:

[ian@europa ~]$ rpm -qa | grep dhcp
dhcp-client-3.0.3-3mdk
dhcp-common-3.0.3-3mdk

Welcome to the board :beer:

--thanks

Are you saying that now after installing gstreamer it's working, or that you still have problems?

--i still have problems

Does your isp give static or dhcp ip's? Check for dhcp packages being installed:

rpm -qa | grep dhcp

your output should look something like this:

[ian@europa ~]$ rpm -qa | grep dhcp

dhcp-client-3.0.3-3mdk

dhcp-common-3.0.3-3mdk

--yes I get the same output, with the second line first

If you are using the ethernet connection then when you are in MCC and setting up your internet connection DO NOT select ADSL, Select LAN and go on from there. Although you are using an adsl line, selecting ADSL is not appropriate.

Cheers. John.

You don't need the lisa daemon, this is just like a network neighbourhood in Windows. You can remove it:

urpme lisa

the most important is if your connection is working now.

Why not use the easy to configure rp-pppoe package? It even has a gui...

I don't know if it's working with pppoa connections, as I naver had one of them, though.

John is absolutely right: It's *not* appropriate to use any pppoe software here (as their purpose is building an ethernet connection over a ppp line all using *software*).

Peter mentioned it in his first posting: He uses a Speedstream (DSL) modem to establish the ppp connection, so that connection to the net is made by hardware. On the other (local) side is ethernet. So the LAN option for configuring is correct. You'll probably succed if you configure eth0 for dhcp use. And you can go on using lisa ;-)

A gstreamer-alsa dependancy would be the only strange aspect here, as gstreamer and alsa are packages related to sound (output).

Good luck,

scoonma

I still can't connect.

On the Connections icon (in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen, it looks like two lumps of shishkebob on a stick at a 45 degree angle) if I hover the mouse over it it says "Network is up on interface eth0". If I pull the cable it says "Network is down...".

If I rt-click it and get into the Network Monitoring dialog and select "Connect to Internet" from a pull-down, there's no extra activity at the modem. I tried resetting the modem as well. In the log it says its launching /usr/sbin/usernetctl eth0 report

Can you ping your default gateway? Also try adding this to /etc/modprobe.conf to disable ipv6 as this sometimes causes network probs:

alias net-pf-10 off

and see how you get on after this. You can test internet connectivity by doing:

host linux.org

or whatever domain name, to see if it's resolving names. If this doesn't work, check your /etc/resolv.conf to make sure you have DNS server entries.

The foll. are from the Network Connections page in XP.

Sympatico HSE (type Broadband). This is the one I connect to the internet with.

TCP/IP specifies for IP @ and DNS server to be obtained automatically.

This is PPPoE.

The foll. are from Status > Details

Server IP 64.230.197.19 -- XP pings okay

Client IP 65.92.70.7 XP -- XP no ping

LAN 6 (type LAN or high-speed iNet). This needed to access the internet, tho I don't know why.

192.168.0.1 -- XP no ping

This is spec'd under TCP/IP

Under Linux:

64.230.197.19, 192.168.0.1 and 65.92.70.7 all said "Network is unreachable". BTW how does one stop the ping process? I'm having to close the sessions.

I haven't changed the .conf files yet as I've forgotten how to use vi. Is there a GUI type editor available?

How do I run the CODEhost linux.org command?