Modem shows connected, but no data transfer

Guest shemz

hello everybody. i have a very unusual kinda problem with my newly installed mandriva 2006 system. i configured the bluetooth modem and successfully connected to internet using"kppp". now the modem shows that the connection is established, and network wizard also shows being connected.

but the problem is that whenever i try to access internet using the modem connection, it shows 'could not resolve host name'. none of the applications can actually access the internet. i have also kept the firewall off for testing the connection, still the problem persists. wat could be the problem? if anyone of you solved any similar problem, then please lemme kno how to resolve it.

scoonma your idea seems to be working, but there is another issue now. the network icon in te system tray now indicates that all the interfaces are down, inspite of the fact that my modem is connected to the server. wat could be the problem with that now? how to connect the interface to the modem, manually?

also, what are dhcp? can those pose any restrictions?

the network icon in te system tray now indicates that all the interfaces are down, inspite of the fact that my modem is connected to the server. wat could be the problem with that now? how to connect the interface to the modem, manually?

I'd suggest to delete network icon from the panel, possibly update the related applet ("urpmi --update gnome-netstatus" as root) and reinstall the applet manually within the panel (easy: right-click panel & add icon).

You should be sure you have a working gnome environment (could check with "urpmi task-gnome-minimal")

Ups - just saw you're probably using kde. But the idea is all the same. Just find out which applet/package kde is using for this purpose.

also, what are dhcp? can those pose any restrictions?

Dhcp is a protocol used by your client (your local machine) to determine it's internet address (often shortly referred to as "IP") dynamically. Normally bigger companies or organizations have static IPs, the rest of the world uses dynamic ones. Thus by an address the DHCP server on the other side is giving you, you are able to connect to the "outer world". :-)

HTH,

scoonma

guys its sucking my head now. its not only gettin on the right way. the command "ifconfig -a" shows that ppp0 is connected and there is some kinda data transer, but god knows what data is being transfered. konqueror, firefox, gaim, kopete, nothing at all is accessing the port.

i tried network config as well. it shows the port is up, but is not connected to "ethernet". when i click on 'connect to ethernet', it replies back that it is not able to connect to "internet". i am suspecting that some package is missing, but what?????

can reinstallation of mandriva on the system solve the problem?

and yup thanks for all your help.

Don't reinstall unless you really have to. It's not like Windows :P

OK, first things first, if you're getting packets sent/received, then this is looking good. Now, first, check that name resolution is taking place:

host linux.org

will report an ip address if name resolution is working. Also do:

cat /etc/resolv.conf

to see your DNS servers to make sure. Now, if you still find browsing is a problem, edit /etc/modprobe.conf and disable ipv6:

alias net-pf-10 off

and reboot and try the connection again. If that still fails, disable ipv6 in Firefox by typing "about:config" in the url bar, and then filtering for ipv6. Then double-click the entry and set it to true and check to see if you can browse again.

And if not, do:

netstat -r

to check you have a default gateway for your traffic.

[root@localhost shemz]# netstat -r
Kernel IP routing table
Destination	 Gateway		 Genmask		 Flags   MSS Window  irtt Iface
10.6.6.6		 *			   255.255.255.255	UH		 0   0		  0   ppp0
[root@localhost shemz]#

i guess there the problem lies. an undefined gateway. so how to modify this? is there any .config for it?

Hi shemz,

I'm not sure your modem is actually conected, showing your last output. The reason is, that it displays a destination in "private" Internet area, ie. for local networks (cf. http://www.iana.org/faqs/abuse-faq.htm )

pppd normally connects your net interface to an adress which is not residing in that area, but in "outer internet". Are you sure you've entered correct values for the following data (should have been given you by your provider)?

a) login

b) password

c) Point-to-Point Server

Otherwise your output would not look that bad, and I'd add a default route (how is this done permanently for ppp0? - I'm not using modems for some time - anyone else?) AFAIRC the default route should point to your P-t-P remote station, i.e. a providers IP giving you modem access (you can see it by "ifconfig -a")

Or am we cross-talking and your modem is DSL? (In that case you maybe need pppoe.)

I must admit being confused about the term "bluetooth modem". Which device is receiving the data? If you have a private network on your own, that you're dialling in, then yes, you'd probably need a gateway entry with the IP address of your local receiving device. (But this would make little sense from a technical point of view, as you owned both devices, so no need to dial in?)

HTH,

scoonma

P.S.: Traditionally modems are used to transmit data on long range distances, and bluetooth is for very short ones.

Edited by scoonma

hi. for my mobility, i have subscribed to the gprs service of my mobile service provider. i use gprs as internet source whenever i am out. i use my mobile phone as a modem, with built-in bluetooth as a medium of transmission (to make the connectivity absolutely wireless). the modem i use in kppp is 'rfcomm0'. i was using this connection succesfully previously with SuSE 10.1, that means, i guess, it must work with Mandriva as well. i have used the same configuration as in SuSE. and i am sure that it is getting connected, which is reflected even from the phone. the problem is that i am not just getting where i am going wrong.

and i am sure that it is getting connected, which is reflected even from the phone. the problem is that i am not just getting where i am going wrong.

So next issues to check would be DNS resolution and firewall.

Does /etc/resolv.conf contain a valid nameserver entry?

Are you able to acces the net with firewall down? (In most cases "service shorewall stop" / "service shorewall clear" being root.)

So next issues to check would be DNS resolution and firewall.

Does /etc/resolv.conf contain a valid nameserver entry?

Are you able to acces the net with firewall down? (In most cases "service shorewall stop" / "service shorewall clear" being root.)

Firstly thanks for your effort. i have already kept the firewall off. i have manually configured the servers in /etc/resolv.conf, as per the details provided by the service provider.

dude i am totally clueless about why this peice of s**t is behaving in an odd way.

You shouldn't give up now! :-) Unlike in the Windows world, you're actually able find the reason for errors, and you can fix them by yourself. It's not always easy, but the more you learn, the more you can get out of your system.

Regarding bluetooth: This is new to me, too. I've found these pages dealing with similar problems than yours, but they are in german:

http://www.unixboard.de/vb3/archive/index.php/t-5902.html

http://www.holtmann.org/papers/bluetooth/uptimes2003.html

I don't know wether you understand that, so I try to extract obviously important info:

It's suggested to check your bluetoth device pin in /etc/bluetooth/pin (presumed you have the following packages installed: "bluez-pin", "bluez-utils"). Oh, just saw that package description of bluez-utils "highly recommends" a change(!)

Use "hcitool scan" to find the modem and note BD address (looks like 00:15:30:A2:0F:C7).

Do "rfcomm bind <bd-address obtained> 1"

As you likely have already installed the modem, you should be able to do networking by using "kinternet" (or newer tool to do a connect?)

(Maybe you have to "service network restart" before.)

If that method works, you can edit "/etc/bluetooth/rfcomm.conf" to reflect the changes regarding your device and make them permanent.

HTH,

scoonma