Prodigal son returns

ral

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/29542.html

As soon as I have time (this weekend) I am going to dump my RedHat 8 install and overwrite it with Mandrake Linux 9. First, EOL and now this. As soon as I do that I am going to buy that ML9 PowerPack I saw at Datablitz (under US$60)... this should ensure that they will order at least a few copies of ML9.1.

If MandrakeSoft starts acting like RH... I am going back to Windows.

ral,

but why the path of RH-Mandrake-Windows? doesnt any other distro give you the support that you would need?

sidenote to ral: how much does the powerpack at datablitz cost? i am saving some money for 9.1 if it does make it in manila.

ciao!

About Php 2700-2800 if I remember correctly. Pretty good deal expecially since it beside a Php 7,800 RedHat 8 Pro (near as I can tell a ML PowerPack = a RedHat Pro).

I don't know whether I can hack Slackware or Debian or Gentoo... Maybe we could use SuSE.

We are Windows people. We have years of experience on Windows... Using RedHat or Mandrake was already a difficult transition...

We use it for business. If it becomes too difficult... than TCO goes up.

By they way ramfree... we don't mind paying license fees for Linux...

...but windows is pretty cheap hear Php 4200 (US$80) for WinXP Home and Php 7200 (US$140) for WIn2K or XP Pro, so the $60/pc a year fees being asked for by RH for its basic service are pretty costly. Mandrake is looking a whole lot better now.

I don't know whether I can hack Slackware or Debian or Gentoo... Maybe we could use SuSE.

We are Windows people. We have years of experience on Windows... Using RedHat or Mandrake was already a difficult transition...

We use it for business. If it becomes too difficult... than TCO goes up.

i dont know anything about businesses but what exact features of RH/MDK will warrant it 'irreplaceable' by another linux distro? i think i have a pretty good idea but i would love to hear your side.

ciao!

An easy to use GUI...

Our clients are happier with Bluecurve Gnome than Mandrake LInux KDE (remember most of these people dont own a PC) so a simple interface or in this case a simplified menu makes life easier.

But, the real reason is this penguin is too scared to try the more hard core Linux disto's. Suggest one and I'll try it. Please remember none of us have an formal IT training. But we do maintain 80+ machines (altough I only maintian 12)... and we actually now build and sell customized PC's.

Besides all my partners prefer Windows, I am the only Linux advocate in the group... and RH recent actions... well they left me like a sitting duck...

Anyway Mozilla is now or standard browser and OpenOffice sits on 2/3rds of the Internet PC's. So OpenSource is helping us cut costs without pirating. I think we are the only internet cafe in the country which still run's Win95 on some of our PC's (being Phased out now by WinXP over the next 12 months or so)... I was hoping Linux could be used in this PC's instead...

But now RedHat is less cost effective than sticking with Windows. So I am making my stand with Mandrake again (where I was 5 months ago)... but the RH EOL and now the update thing, well... justified the arguments given by my partners for just sticking to Windows.

Guest duir66
An easy to use GUI...

Our clients are happier with Bluecurve Gnome than Mandrake LInux KDE (remember most of these people dont own a PC) so a simple interface or in this case a simplified menu makes life easier.

But, the real reason is this penguin is too scared to try the more hard core Linux disto's. Suggest one and I'll try it. Please remember none of us have an formal IT training. But we do maintain 80+ machines (altough I only maintian 12)... and we actually now build and sell customized PC's.

Besides all my partners prefer Windows, I am the only Linux advocate in the group... and RH recent actions... well they left me like a sitting duck... 

Anyway Mozilla is now or standard browser and OpenOffice sits on 2/3rds of the Internet PC's. So OpenSource is helping us cut costs without pirating. I think we are the only internet cafe in the country which still run's Win95 on some of our PC's (being Phased out now by WinXP over the next 12 months or so)...  I was hoping Linux could be used in this PC's instead...

But now RedHat is less cost effective than sticking with Windows. So I am making my stand with Mandrake again (where I was 5 months ago)... but the RH EOL and now the update thing, well... justified the arguments given by my partners for just sticking to Windows.

Just curious. What kind of business is it?

Have you heard of Lycoris? Very simple, XP-like. Very crippled like bluecurve. Comes with Oo & Moz. Made for n00bs. Stable though.

I think we are the only internet cafe in the country

Just curious. What kind of business is it?

an internet cafe 'sells' internet access for those who doesnt own a pc/phone at their home. its very popular in manila that you could almost find one in every block in most places. in hotspots like university belts you would find them side-by-side but those are mostly gaming stations than internet cafes.

ciao!

I have never been overly impressed with the interface design in Linux. One thing that Windows has consistently done is test interfaces on a variety of users. Apple to has spent much on a clean, functional design. Even if you don't like the results personally, there are things that they both do that Gnome and KDE could learn from.

Sometimes I feel they needed to reinvent the wheel to avoid the predecessors and are now going back to a more Windows look which is a serious mistake. Interface design is not a trivial issue and their is much in the literature about doing it to maximize user ease and functionality of use.

Here are some sites that deal with the subject:

http://www.usernomics.com/user-interface-design.html

http://www.engr.sjsu.edu/~knapp/hci.html

http://www.asis.org/Bulletin/Aug-97/rough.html

http://www.anacapasciences.com/computers.htm

http://turing.acm.org/crossroads/xrds3-3/color.html

While most comp sci students can and do take courses in this subject, it seems to soon forgotten once out in the workplace world

Counterspy.

It's a bit harder to setup than say, mandrake, or redhat, but once you got it installed, it's a lot easier to upgrade. Since Debian is always, free, many people use it as their server.

Anyway, the only way to find out is to try it.