how to know if cpufreqd is working? [solved]

i think i remember reading about a command to see what frequencies are available to the CPU, does any1 know it?

Is your question about monitoring the frequency or defining policies? For policies, read cpufreq and speedstep_* docs. For monitoring, there must be a file in /proc which contains the information about the current frequency:

more /proc/cpufreq
	  minimum CPU frequency  -  maximum CPU frequency  -  policy
CPU  0	   600000 kHz ( 37 %)  -	1600000 kHz (100 %)  -  powersave

But you can also use gkrelm to monitor CPU frequency.

great site! however, i have one problem. when i run this: $ cat /proc/acpi/processor/CPU0/throttling, i get this: <not supported>. :(

strange to me since Windows seems to throttle my CPU just fine. When I run in Linux, my fans are running constantly and it heats up very quickly. Then, when i boot into windows, after about 1 mins, it is cooler to the touch and blowing cooler air out of the computer. Obviously windows is doing something right and Linux is doing something wrong.

I tried using cpudyn and have had moderate success. It seems to throttle down to 1800 from 2400, which is good, but my comp still seems to overheat. Windows seems to throttle to 1540. Is there a way to change the minmimum CPU speed in cpudyn?

Also, when i let cpudyn run in auto mode, it jumps every second to 2400, then back to 1800, then back to 2400 again. So it doesn't seem to be throttling correctly. I can send it a signal (don't remember what, only that it ends in a 2), and it stays at 1800, but in auto mode, it jumps.

am i doing something wrong?

Thanks for all your help, learning a lot!

Hi seraph,

great site! however, i have one problem. when i run this: $ cat /proc/acpi/processor/CPU0/throttling, i get this: <not supported>. :(

You can "cd /proc/acpi/processor/CPU0" and cat the different entries to get some information.

strange to me since Windows seems to throttle my CPU just fine. When I run in Linux, my fans are running constantly and it heats up very quickly. Then, when i boot into windows, after about 1 mins, it is cooler to the touch and blowing cooler air out of the computer. Obviously windows is doing something right and Linux is doing something wrong.

But do you know which technical means Win is using in order to achieve this? ;-)

Serious: It can be alluring to try (some or many) different software to achieve your goal if the first one does not work. But this is a rather Window-ish style to deal with problems. In the long run you'll get much more fun if you 1. Check if a software is capable of solving your problem and 2. Learn the usage and options to work with the soft appropriately. I'm not into talking you to stick to cpufreq, but please note that functioning relies on the latter (you've already read the cpudyn FAQ, right?).

Good luck,

scoonma

I don't know cpudyn, but for cpufreqd it's all in the config file /etc/cpufreqd.conf.

I would go out on a limb and say cpudyn probably has something similar, and almost certainly has some good documentation about it, either in man cpudyn or on the home page. Sorry I can't help further, I've never used cpudyn.

That's very odd that the throttling file says "not supported" though, are you able to cat the other files in the same directory?

I tried using cpudyn and have had moderate success. It seems to throttle down to 1800 from 2400, which is good, but my comp still seems to overheat. Windows seems to throttle to 1540. Is there a way to change the minmimum CPU speed in cpudyn?

Also, when i let cpudyn run in auto mode, it jumps every second to 2400, then back to 1800, then back to 2400 again. So it doesn't seem to be throttling correctly. I can send it a signal (don't remember what, only that it ends in a 2), and it stays at 1800, but in auto mode, it jumps.

am i doing something wrong?

Thanks for all your help, learning a lot!

cpudyn, cpufreqd and powernowd are all daemon programs, they need a speedstep kernel module to work. For Pentium 4 processors, I think you need to load the module speedstep-ich. As root,

modprobe speedstep-ich

And of course as suggested, take a look at the cpudyn info page: http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~nino/Linux/cpudyn.html . I know, that's not much help but.... I sorted out frequency scaling using that page as a guide, and it works great.

By the way, what kernel do you run (type uname -r to find out)?

Edited by coverup