xfree 4.3

paul

I know a few of you are already using xfree4.3.

anon !! DragonMage ???

so what are the cool new things?

and where can I find some interesting cursors ... and don't say red-dot coz I didn't think that was so cool :(

Well.. I tried the mandrake rpms of 4.3 and so far, there are no visible changes from 4.2.x. It is stable however, so I guess you can use it right now.. Maybe right after I reinstall to 9.1 RC2, I'll begin to really explore the capabilities of 4.3. I heard there are some cursors at kde-look.org though.

I know a few of you are already using xfree4.3.

anon !! DragonMage ???

so what are the cool new things?

and where can I find some interesting cursors ... and don't say red-dot coz I didn't think that was so cool  :(

Don't know about finding cool cursors, I just notice an overall improvement with Xfree 4.3, everything just looks clearer, crisper, I no longer need to import windoze fonts.

I noticed in

/var/log/XFree86.0.log

that randr was switched on, but found that when switching resolutions with ctrl-alt-+ or - the virtual displaysize remained the same, so I found myself still panning across the screen....

And I thought RandR was developed to fix that, so how do I use it?

Or is it because of KDE that I cannot use it yet?

Ps most people don't care so much about this, they set one single resolution and stick with it, but I have my projector that I want to send the signal to, and it doesn't accept 1600x1200....

Guest IndieRockSteve
I noticed in
/var/log/XFree86.0.log

that randr was switched on, but found that when switching resolutions with ctrl-alt-+ or - the virtual displaysize remained the same, so I found myself still panning across the screen....

And I thought RandR was developed to fix that, so how do I use it?

Or is it because of KDE that I cannot use it yet?

aRTee - From what I understand of RandR, it doesn't replace CTRL-ALT -/+, its for a completely different thing. Its to resize the active resolution(i.e. like in windows when you change resolution), it works along side of the viewport switching(ctrl-alt +/-)

Though, I just updated my desktop to the latest files on cooker(RC2) I haven't seen any controls for it in KDE3.1 yet(which does have support for it, so I'm wondering if the mandrake build of kde3.1 hasn't included it yet).

We'll have to wait and see!

Though, I just updated my desktop to the latest files on cooker(RC2) I haven't seen any controls for it in KDE3.1 yet(which does have support for it, so I'm wondering if the mandrake build of kde3.1 hasn't included it yet).

We'll have to wait and see!

It was there in a cooker release of kde for about three days, then i updated again, and it was gone :shock: , hopefully it will be back.

have a look at this and see if this helps

paul@trinity paul $ xrandr --help

usage: xrandr [options]

where options are:

-display <display> or -d <display>

-help

-o <normal,inverted,left,right,0,1,2,3>

or --orientation <normal,inverted,left,right,0,1,2,3>

-q        or --query

-s <size>/<width>x<height> or --size <size>/<width>x<height>

-r <rate> or --rate <rate>

-v        or --version

-x        (reflect in x)

-y        (reflect in y)

--screen <screen>

--verbose

paul@trinity paul $

paul,

Thanks for the command-line info. This is the new extension mentioned in http://www.xfree86.org/4.3.0/RELNOTES2.html#5 .

This is a well known issue with RendelAccel option on the nvidia drivers. The 3123 drivers have it enabled while the 4191 drivers have it disabled by default. Nothing to do with the kernel.

It was there in a cooker release of kde for about three days, then i updated again, and it was gone  , hopefully it will be back.
Where was it ? In KDE control center ? Or by right click on the desktop (as in MS windows) ? Does the KDE in mandrake-9.1rc2 have it ? If not, this should be put as a bug report.

This is a well known issue with RendelAccel option on the nvidia drivers. The 3123 drivers have it enabled while the 4191 drivers have it disabled by default. Nothing to do with the kernel.

so does this mean I will get different results between 3123 and 4191 ???

and in that case which is better?

Better? What do you want?...would be the question. Overall the 3123 best, IMO. There's a slight improvement in gaming with 4191 but 2D took a hit. I had 2 screenshots, one with 3123 and one with 4191, and both had the same wallpaper set with bsetbg (Esetroot is much better). There was a slightly noticable diff but you coudn't tell with Esetroot. So if you don't want or need a slight diff in games and want xrandr, go back to 3123.

ndeb has looked into the diff because of some trouble he had with 4191, so he'll know better if I'm off here.

ndeb?

I tried xrandr command. Its practically useless since it gives u nothing different from ctrl-alt-+/-. And xvidtune can set refresh rates far better.

Where was it ? In KDE control center ? Or by right click on the desktop (as in MS windows) ? Does the KDE in mandrake-9.1rc2 have it ? If not, this should be put as a bug report.

Yes, IN KDE control centre. and no its not in RC2.

I tried xrandr command. Its practically useless since it gives u nothing different from ctrl-alt-+/-. And xvidtune can set refresh rates far better.

???? But wasn't it supposed to also resize the virtual workspace? And does it do that? (I mean, so that you don't have to pan anymore)

I will try it tonight, and see what happens.

My next thing will be a tft monitor (for my girlfriend), and it would be nice to be able to use it in portrait mode...