2 DVD optical drives

laiback

I have installed a DVD RW and a DVD rom drive onto my PC. The RW drive appears to work as expected and I can write to it using K3b. However, the ROM drive only allows CD access, if I put a DVD in I get all sorts or error messages which go on about access rights etc. Am I expecting too much in hoping that the DVD rom will also read DVDs? Kaffine has the same problem with the rom drive.

The DVD RW is set to Master and the rom drive to Slave.

Thank you

I think you may have a dickey DVD-ROM drive. I have the same 2 types of devices such as yours and I have no problem reading DVD discs on either of them. My only difference is that my two optical DVD drives are set as Master on each of the two IDE channels since I have no hdds on IDE, I have 2 of SATA II Drives of 160Gbs each instead.

Cheers. John.

Summary: both these could be at fault. The k3b version for dvd should be installed, which allows for the depends and getting dvd stuff working. Check and see if k3b-dvd is actually installed.

As Aussie John has said, there can be issues on some chipsets with two cd devices on the same channel. I also place these on seperate channels. My dvd writer is hdb and my dvd reader is hdc. I have hard drives on hda and hdd.

I was assuming that you were referring to data DVDs. If it is DVD movies that you cant read then as IAN says, you need libdvdcss. But I thought you said that you can read DVDs on your DVD-RW and if that means movies then it means you already have libdvdcss installed.

I think then that my first assessment may still be correct.

Cheers. John.

One scenario: The DVD is old (some 4 years or so) and cannot read modern dyes, or +R media. Common scenario, in most cases not curable with a firmware upgrade.

A second one: It's operating at PIO mode. Open a root console, and

hdparm -c /dev/hdc

(replace /dev/hdc with the actual device node of your device)

Or

hdparm -I /dev/hdc

(more verbose output)

It should be set as using DMA.

If you get an error like "hdparm: commmand not found" then

urpmi hdparm

For setting the device at DMA mode, use hdparm with the -d switch

man:hdparm in your Konqueror address bar should show you all the options.

Third scenario: The device has wrong permissions.

Get sure your current user belongs to the "cdrom" group (that is for Mandriva), and that the device has "root:cdrom" user/group flags.

Any better after any of these tips?

Thank you Gentlemen.

I've now got the situation whereby I can play DVDs on both drives but CDs on neither.

I'll come back with more details as dinner is ready.

Laidback

OK here goes.

hdparm produces the following:-

[root@localhost david]# hdparm -c /dev/hdc

dev/hdc:

IO_support = 0 (default 16-bit)

[root@localhost david]# hdparm -c /dev/hdd

/dev/hdd:

IO_support = 0 (default 16-bit)

Do I still need to set DMA?

Went into User Administration via System > Configuration > Other and editted my entry, which is the only one as noboby else uses my system. I have to admit to being a little confused by this utility but I ticked all the boxes that seemed relevant,

audio, cdrom, cdwriter in the various Primary Groups including myself and users. DVD playback (video) and DVD data read now work in both drives! great, however CD playing by KsCD has stopped altogether. I can play CDs using Kaffeine in both drives!

What has happened to KsCD?, it used to be really reliable in hdc. (Gives the permissions error message)

Other info.

The drives are new, purchased just a month or so back.

liddvdcss is installed as is the DVD version of K3b, I was very careful about this as I had met that issue in my previous install.

With your help I feel really close to a resolution now, just the matter of getting KsCD working.

You may be asking why I even tried to do this, well I wanted to copy the Mandriva 2006 DVD for a friend as I am trying to convert him to Linux. So I attempted a copy from my DVD rom onto the DVD RW. It didn't work so I started to investigate.

Many thanks for your assistance.

Laidback

Edited by laiback

I've just discovered something new.

If I configure KsCD to use Direct Digital Playback then the DVDs work but KsCD stops.

Is there some access rights issue going on?

Audio device in KsCD is /dev/dsp

Thanks

Laidback