Mandriva gets a new look :)

arctic

Nice, isn't it? :thumbs:

umm ..., well ..., :unsure: no

That looks positively hideous to my eyes :sad:

Is Galaxy still going to be able to be selected? (I'm pretty sure I use Galaxy (default?), not on my machine at present and don't really know them by name, but what ever it is, it's the only one I could bare to look at) Being forced to look at something like that all the time could quite possibly bring on a Windows relapse. :cheeky:

Edited by jagwah

This guy highlights transparent menu's in KDE as a feature? IIRC correctly they have been available since 2005LE, and it's a KDE selling point, not a Mandriva SP. If you are going to showcase a new product/beta it's better to focus on innovation and updates, not features that have been implemented by a third party a long time ago, and by and large haven't changed much.

Looks like KDE still has galaxy though. Hopefully artwork will be finished and updated for the final release.

Aye, the main point of galaxy was to have a near unified desktop between KDE and GNOME!

This guy highlights transparent menu's in KDE as a feature? IIRC correctly they have been available since 2005LE, and it's a KDE selling point, not a Mandriva SP. If you are going to showcase a new product/beta it's better to focus on innovation and updates, not features that have been implemented by a third party a long time ago, and by and large haven't changed much.

Couldn't agree more....

Looks like KDE still has galaxy though. Hopefully artwork will be finished and updated for the final release.

Aye, the main point of galaxy was to have a near unified desktop between KDE and GNOME!

This is the IMHO stupidest thing ever.... KDE and Gnome are both fine WM's.... but they work differently, have different philosophies etc.

The great thing about Linux is making it work the way YOU want...

Like on my lappy ... I run KDE sometimes and ICEWM others ....

If I'm running ICEWM, its for a reason.. resources. I don't want the same menu's, I don't want the same theme....

I know you can change theme, restore menu's and stuff... but its not giving people the Gnome or KDE experience if you try and make them look n feel identical.

edits.. fixed quotes

Edited by Gowator

Was thinking the same, but then you'd laugh seeing my gnome desktop. There were two panels by default, the top being the main menu, clock, etc, the bottom being the show desktop and where all the running windows appear.

I merged both panels, deleted the bottom one, and then put the top panel at the bottom, so it looked exactly like the KDE panel :P

But yeah, I do have different themes to make it look cool.

Better... still not great. Bah - who uses the default theme anyway? :P

Its something I use when Im trying a different WM/DM....

Its your first impression and hence makes a mental connection as to what that DM/WM is like....

Given the numbers of DM/WM available... I tend to install, have a play and try another ... because I hope the developers have stuck in a default theme that shows off the aspects they think are important.

When a disto overrides this you get a different impression.... of course deciding on a WM/DM from first impressions is stupid but I do it anyway...

Can't see much on those screenshots to get excited about - especially the KDE ones. In fact I think even if I was still on Mdk10.1 I still wouldn't see much new in these 2007 screenshots.

Hopefully there's some nifty stuff under the covers to look forward to :)