installing debian "testing"

Last night I started the debian installer on my win2k box, just to see what it was like. So far, at least up to the partitioning part, it seems pretty much the same as other distros I've installed. At the partitioning part, I exited out of the install since I wasnt' yet ready. I need to delete alot of junk on my D: partition, and then I suppose do a defrag before installing debian.

On the "detecting network through DHCP" it failed. The win2k box has a usb2 wireless adapter for connecting to my wireless router. I didn't think debian would detect it correctly and I was right.

My question is, if I connect an ethernet cable to my win2k box before installing, instead of using the usb adapter, will debian recogize the connection thru DHCP then? Since I d/l the "net install" CD of course I want a working internet connection during install.

After install, I can again use my usb wireless adapter, and try to get debian to recognize it correctly, or maybe it will automatically after the "full version" is installed...

I'll plug in the ethernet cable tonight and tryout the install again. I just want a working connection so the "net-install" can go along ok.

I'll worry about the usb wireless connection after the full install is done...

Worry about it now if your installing the AMD64 version. You might want to consider the 32 bit version instead.

Some closed source drivers etc. are only available in 32 bit!

I decided to wait just a little, until I get another HD. That way I'll just leave the original 160GB drive as all windows, and the new HD (prob 120GB) will be for any linux distro I want to play with. That way, both drives will have enough space for me to experiment with importing video from my new digital video camera.

Plus, I got into the windows disk management, expecting to be able to work with my partitions a little, but I didn't see how to.

Plus, I got into the windows disk management, expecting to be able to work with my partitions a little, but I didn't see how to.
You can create and delete partitions with that tool, but not much else. For anything fancier (eg resizing) you either need to buy a special utility program, or use linux :)