Gnome-volume-manager problems (HAL related?)

Hotbelgo

I have been using the MDE enhancements for sometime now but ever since I started I had problems with usb storage (a hardisk and a usb Stick). I started tracking down the errors today and realised that gnome-volume-maanger is not starting.

First it could not find libraries.so.0 for dbus, dbus-glib and hal but after repairing the symlinks (no idea why they had got lost) I now get:

symbol lookup error: gnome-volume-manager: undefined symbol: hal_initialize

I have (lib)hal(1)- 0.5.7-12.mdk2006.0.mde installed and the rest is "mostly" a stock 2006.0 machine (I certainly have not deliberately played around with this sort of system stuff deliberately and still retain gnome-volume-manager-1.2.2-1mdk

What has gone wrong?

HB

Edited by Hotbelgo

Hi,

I'm still hoping to get some reactions and am carrying on investigating.

I read on some gentoo forums that ivman many be the way forward for loading usb storage devices and notices that mde has an rpm for that. I replace gnome volume manager with that, but wonder whether i should be diverting so far from my original mandrake set-up?

I also read frequently about fstab-sync, but realise that that is not on my system (any more?). But i canot find an rpm that even contains it using rpmdrake.

Help...........................!!!!!

HB

You are totally right, i have build all needed rpms to have usb working fine in wich gnome-volume-manager and others but i have only build those rpm for x86_64, ill build them for x86 and upload them when i finish releasing a new kde and some other multimedia plugins, so tomorrow i think all will be uploaded in x86 repo, sorry for this.

kind regards,

New mounting packages uploaded for x86, this will resolve any issues regarding mounting usb devices, you have also the ivman option in MDE.

Got 'em, thanks

It's not quite working as expected - will look at the error messqages and see whether I need to come back to this forum

HB