Nvidia driver problems.....

earsh0t

Ok im new, my vocabulary aint big with linux stuff...i BARRLY know my way around.

I used the urpmi-DKMS(spell)-nvidia command and all installed fine i guess...i reboot and sellect my vid card geforce 6800xt(geforce 6800 generic), go to test before aplying and get a error like this....

An error occurred:

(EE) Failed to load /usr/x11R6/lib/modules/extensions/nvidia/libgix.so

(EE) Failed to load module "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/nvidia/libgix.so" (loader failed, 7)

Try to change some parameters

anyone???

and i cant seem to figure out how to install the drivers from Nvidia....i DLed the .run file but have no clue what to do next......

"/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/nvidia/libgix.so"

This driver name is libglx.so L like Lampart

If You use dkms driver go to /usr/src/dkms-nvidia ~ maybe other name

type

make install

Check line in /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Load "glx"

.....Lex

ok, im tryin lexs thing first,

ok i found the root part that goes in the home folder, the lil side tab, i go to USR, SRC, and i have in there a nvidia-7676 and a nvidia 8762-6.1.20060plf.......i tryd this in the konsole...$ ///usr/src/nvidia-8762-6.1.20060plf make install, but i get this

bash: ///usr/src/nvidia-8762-6.1.20060plf: is a directory

what do i do?

here is the zorg thing i think......

Section "Module"

Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension

Load "v4l" # Video for Linux

Load "extmod"

Load "type1"

Load "freetype"

Load "glx" # 3D layer

EndSection

Edited by earsh0t

Ok, type

ls /usr/src

and

cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf | grep nvidia

send me

And type

cd /usr/src/nvidia-8762*

make install

Add line to /etc/modprobe.preload

nvidia

Reboot Your system ,,,,,lex

Edited by Lexicon

ok i get this error at the make install part.....

If you are using a Linux 2.4 kernel, please make sure

you either have configured kernel sources matching your

kernel or the correct set of kernel headers installed

on your system.

If you are using a Linux 2.6 kernel, please make sure

you have configured kernel sources matching your kernel

installed on your system. If you specified a separate

output directory using either the "KBUILD_OUTPUT" or

the "O" KBUILD parameter, make sure to specify this

directory with the SYSOUT environment variable or with

the equivalent nvidia-installer command line option.

Depending on where and how the kernel sources (or the

kernel headers) were installed, you may need to specify

their location with the SYSSRC environment variable or

the equivalent nvidia-installer command line option.

*** Unable to determine the target kernel version. ***

make: *** [select_makefile] Error 1

In theory, the driver you have installed *should* work right out of the box (because an nvidia driver is included in the Powerpack DVD).

In practice, it does not work with quite a few nvidia cards, and the reason is that the xorg version packed with 2006.0 is pants (oh sorry, I meant beta...).

I'd suggest removing your nvidia packages (which will probably drop you to commandline), fully upgrading your system, including kernel, and then using the stock .run installer from nvidia site.

I won't claim that it's easy, but I will claim that if done properly, it will work.

If you need instructions about how-to-use the .run installer from nvidia, you can get plenty of support here.

Edited by scarecrow

oh ok.....well damn....oh well, as of right now everything works PERFECT, i just wanted the card drivers in so i could try cedega...ill just keep my windows for gameing then...now to figure out how to get bittorrent to install right......

quick question....i have my system set up with 2 HDs, one is 40gigs(Mandriva) and a 2nd 120gig(windows)...i have both hooked up, id like to search around on the windows one to play music and video files instead of burning them and copying them to the Linux HD....how would i go about finding it in mandriva??? ive found in the harddrake HDB...it says its all windows, but i dono how to get access to it. sorry for changing subjects on ya guys.

Edited by earsh0t

As to your "Quick Question". Presuming you are in Gnome:

Open the "Computer" icon (similar to My Computer in Windows) on the desktop. Double-click on "file system". You will be in " / " which is the highest possible position in linux. Click on "mnt" , it will open and you will see "windows" (= the windows partition) or your common (FAT32) partition. If you only have one single windows partition, and if that is in NTFS, well, thats tough luck. If it is in FAT32 you will be able to access it.

Most folks with dual-boot systems have at least one common FAT32 partition, because both Linux and Windows can read and write it.

Helmut

Edited by Helmut

NTFS is currently readable AND writable perfectly well from Linux... you need the brand new 3g-ntfs driver, which is not as good as "the real thing" (Windows 2000/XP/2003), but it works very well.

http://www.linux-ntfs.org/

Look in there for "ntfs-3g". It's still labelled suspicious, but since NOONE managed to corrupt data with it yet, it will most likely be the next trend in Linux NTFS approach... as it is both reliable and VERY fast.

Edited by scarecrow