Tinyfirewall and Clamantivirus

Daveleh

Hi Guys (and gals :wink: )

I have a couple of questions regarding the above subjects, I wonder if anyone can shed anylights

I have recently setup Tinyfirewall on my Mandrake8.2 system. Now it is setup what or where do I check for suspicious activity? When I used WIN98 I used Zonealarm and this would advise me when something was trying to gain access to my pc. Does TinyFireWall do the same :?:

I have also recently installed Clamantivirus. When I run the clamscan test as per the pdf instructions it creates a document in my home directory called scan.txt which tells me that it has found the test viruses but I can't seem to find where it stores the information regarding which viruses it has found and where they are :?:

Also I take it that Clam is just a virus checker and not a virus killer is that correct :?:

Unfortunately, tinyfirewall doesn't do a warning thing, unless you are looking at the logs.

If you want to test how secure your firewall is, go to http://www.grc.com There are a few tests in there to check how secure your computer is.

I never heard of clamantivirus, can you give me more information or a link to where can I find the product? I prefer fprot anyway for antivirus software.

Hi Defunct,

you said:

well you cant get viruses like you can in windows.. there aren't many worms for linux.. also tinyfirewall doesn't alert you like zonealarm....

I realise that Linux doesnt suffer from viruses the same way that windows does, but I will shortly be joining on online discussion group which are no doubt going to be mainly windows users. Therefore I want to be sure that any attachments they send to me, which I may need to forward on, are virus free for their sakes.

Hi DragonMage,

you said:

Unfortunately, tinyfirewall doesn't do a warning thing, unless you are looking at the logs.

Ok, so where would I find these logs :?:

If you want to test how secure your firewall is, go to http://www.grc.com There are a few tests in there to check how secure your computer is.

Thanks I'll check that out

I never heard of clamantivirus, can you give me more information or a link to where can I find the product? I prefer fprot anyway for antivirus software.

It was included on a recent Linux Format cover DVD but can also be found at http://clam.elektrapro.com

The logs are located in /var/log directory. You should check and delete some of the older logs. There are many people suddenly finding their / directory full and finding out they have a gazillion gig of wasted space in their log directory.

The logs are located in /var/log directory. You should check and delete some of the older logs. There are many people suddenly finding their / directory full and finding out they have a gazillion gig of wasted space in their log directory.

here's a simple fix which I use on every machine now

a 100-200mb partition for /var/log

and just incase a 100-200mb partition for /tmp

Hi DragonMage,

you said:

Thanks for that. I'll check it out :)