So Frustrated!

phunni

All I want to do is a little C# development on Linux... Nothing complex or special - just something nice and simple...

So, I installed monodevelop - this is the IDE everyone mentions whenever you talk about .Net on Linux. That's because it's just about the only one...

Unfortunately it's rubbish! I know it's because it's still early days and I'm sure it'll be brilliant (although if they only GTK# GUI tools I'll have to kill someone...), but it isn't today...

There are some fantastic tools for windows - especially sharpdevelop - but nothing decent for Linux at all that I can see...

I'm very frustrated...

OK - rant over...

most of them must have been either developed for mono on windows, or done using a text pad and a command line compiler...

Monodevelop might hae been OK for some things in previous releases, although I've laways found it unstable and of limited use...

In fairness, though, it's only 0.11

• 2 weeks later...

May have found a solution - X-Develop looks like the daddy for mono development on Linux.

One problem - it's $149... I really don't do enough development at home to justify that - because, you know, I have a life...

So anyway, on an (ahem) unrelated subject... I think I may have found a solution to the "what will we do with the google ads money" issue...

yeah..

i also tried mono, but was not really satisfied with.

And things that is at times frustrating, is that we do not really have good stuffs like:

1) Bloodshed Software - Dev-C++

2) Textpad

and other similar things that are so helpful and useful for programmers or just to do some programming on linux...

I think linux programmers should have tried something in this way...this would be so great!! Let's hope for the best!! ;)

I have tried many edtiors and ide on linux, but i have not seen an good alternative(at least for me) providing the same "comfort" as textpad.. or even dev cpp..

The screem seems interesting though..thanks!

Side note

Those who like something like textpad..give a try to http://www.scintilla.org/SciTE.html

It supports a wide variety of languages (C/C++, C#, Java, PHP..etc..) and you can even compile your codes with it..

I have just tried it.. seems nice..but not enough close to texpad alas!

(And, i have a problem, it is not finding the javac command.. and till now i have not been able to solve this :( )

Regards!

Edited by wakish

I have tried many edtiors and ide on linux, but i have not seen an good alternative(at least for me) providing the same "comfort" as textpad.. or even dev cpp..

I would guess this is because you're using to how those programs operate...?

It's just like switching from windows to linux, you have to learn how to do the same old things in slightly new (possibly better :P) ways ;)

I find eclipse a fantastic tool, it's got a lot of neat features and is rock solid. I've never tried hooking it up to mono though.

For just text editing I usually just use Kate, it's got some horrible bugs but does most things quite well.

As for Scite, I've only glimpsed it briefly when playing with the eLive cd, but wasn't immediately overwhelmed. As with all these things though, the more you play with them the better you're able to use them, so they seem easier and better than the others.