getting Debian "testing"

Hmm.. problem is you need to use a FAT32 to share a data drive and this is really not very suited to capturing MM.

Not anymore- you can use NTFS. The FUSE 3g-ntfs read/write driver works "almost" flawlessly ( free space isn't reported correctly, and no metadata are handled ), but it's very fast, very reliable and with no stupid 4 GB filesize limitation. Quite easy to build and install as well- it's fuse based.

Yes but is it fast enough for streaming recording?

Bearing in mind doing this properly usually involves tuning the filesystem or even choosing a different one I expect that there could be some small delays which mess up actually streaming?

the whole 160 GB drive is NTFS. win2k is on the C partition, which is only 28 GB. I'd like to change it to about half the drive, or 80 GB. I have already downloaded the small "net install" debian Testing CD for amd64 architecture. I'll install it to the D partition, which is currently NTFS and approximately 132 GB. I'll let the debian installer make all of D ext3.

I probably need partition magic to non-destructively re-size these partitions. I own PM 7, but I can't find the cd... Is there a freebie partition manager that's similar to PM?