Mounting win partitions

LinLin

Hey there!!!

I wanted to know how one can allow all users (actually home and ftp) to access win partitions. I tried to run lan ftp server using ncftpd but windows folders are not accessible ( in fat drives), the log error says "permission denied'. My /etc/fstab file looks like this:

/dev/hda6 / ext3 defaults 1 1
/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto umask=0022,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec,users 0 0
none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0022,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850 0 0
/dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c ntfs umask=0022,nls=iso8859-1,ro 0 0
/dev/hdb1 /mnt/win_c2 ntfs umask=0022,nls=iso8859-1,ro 0 0
/dev/hda2 /mnt/win_d vfat umask=0022,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850 0 0
/dev/hdb2 /mnt/win_d2 ntfs umask=0022,nls=iso8859-1,ro 0 0
/dev/hda3 /mnt/win_e vfat umask=0022,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850 0 0
/dev/hdb3 /mnt/win_e2 vfat umask=0022,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/hda5 swap swap defaults 0

Thanx :)

Well i modified the fstab file by changing 'umask=0022' to 'umask=0000'...this allowed me modify and delete files as home user, but the remote servers still cant access my lan server. i'm using security level 2 and using drakperm i added rule for ftp to access windows folders( ie /mnt/ ). Not an expert in linux so not quite sure what to do :unsure:

try:

'chmod 757 /'

'chmod 757 /mnt'

'chmod 757 -R /mnt/windows' or whatever. This one might take a while to complete.

I'm sure there's security reasons why you shouldn't do that, but that's what I had to do to be able to access my music stored on my windoze drive. It should give read-only access to everything.

Try:

umask=0

instead of umask=0000. I normally use this in my /etc/fstab and never have any probs accessing this directory. However, it could also be the config of your ftp server that's not allowing the correct access to the area.

Nope..not much help !! I think the problem is bcoz the folder which has public access ( /home/ftp/pub ) contains symlinks to the windows directories ( like /home/ftp/pub/music, where music is symlink to the windows music dir). I first tried chown and chmod for that folder as aioshin mentioned but didnt work. I created a 'test' dir in /home/ftp/pub/ and it can be accessed by servers. Someone told me to mount the music directory in the pub folder...Will that work?? Does this mean adding lines in fstab???

Symlinking directories didn't work for me when I was using ftp and trying to get around things.

Although there should be a way of creating something to redirect, just I don't know what. You won't be able to mount windows directories to specific folders. You can only mount devices, namely /dev/hda1, /dev/hda2, etc, etc. You wouldn't be able to go further down using windows folders. At least as far as I know.

Righto !!! the server is runnin.. i mounted the win partition containg the required folders in /var/ftp and removed all symlinks. That takes care of it..thanx ian. And as far as the problem regarding windows access to all users was concerned, putting 'umask=0' did the trick. So problem solved :D

Thanx guys!!!!

But tell me ( :P )is it possible to give access to one or two users only ( say root and user1 and not allow user2 etc) ?? how to modify the fsatb then??