kernel version?

Hi there. I want to use a PCMCIA wireless card on my computer. For installing the driver I have to install the kernel.

# uname -r gives me:

2.6.12-12mdk-i686-up-4GB

On my Mandriva distribution I have 2 choices

1.kernel-2.6.12.12mdk

2. kernel-i586-up-1GB-2.6.12.12mdk

Wich one I have to chose?

Thanks

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

although if you've installed your urpmi sources, you may get a later kernel source. This is located in /usr/src when installed. So if you do this after installing the kernel source:

rpm -qa | grep kernel

and make sure the version for your kernel and source match, you'll be OK. Here is the example on mine, as I'm using the latest versions from the easyurpmi repositories:

[ian@europa ~]$ rpm -qa | grep kernel
kernel-2.6.12.24mdk-1-1mdk
kernel-source-2.6.12.24mdk-1-1mdk

if you want updates and latest versions, click the easyurpmi link at the top of this page and add repositories for main, contrib, updates, plf-free and plf-nonfree.

In my case is

# rpm -qa | grep kernel
kernel-i686-up-4GB-2.6.12.12mdk-1-1mdk
kernel-source-2.6-2.6.12-12mdk

if you want updates and latest versions,

How can I update?

I click the easyurpmi link and running as root it gives me:

medium "updates" already exists

How can I install the updated kernel-source?

You have kernel-source installed, the rpm -qa queries to show what packages are installed. So you're perfectly fine as you are with your system now as they both match.

You have kernel-source installed, the rpm -qa queries to show what packages are installed. So you're perfectly fine as you are with your system now as they both match.

Just, wondering doesn't he need kernel-source-i686-up-4GB-2.6.12-12mdk with his current kernel or kernel-2.6.12-12mdk with his current kernel-source?

Nope, they are generic, they fit all kernels, so you don't need a specific i686 kernel source. I even checked, and no i686 kernel-source exists in the repositories.

And the additional 1-1 isn't required, it's the main version of 2.6.12.12 that counts, and it matches, so you're fine.