atk.pc

Ok, so I'm trying to install gtk+-2.0.9...so I download it, and find I need atk, glib, and pango. I get the lastest version of each of those from the same site I got the gtk package (ftp://ftp.gtk.org/pub/gtk/v2.0/) and install them, with no problems. They all install to /usr/local/lib. But when I try to install the gtk package, on the ./configure step I get the following error:

checking for glib-2.0 >= 2.0.6 atk >= 1.0.1 pango >= 1.0.1... Package atk was not found in the pkg-config search path. Perhaps you should add the directory containing `atk.pc' to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable No package 'atk' found

configure: error: Library requirements (glib-2.0 >= 2.0.6 atk >= 1.0.1 pango >= 1.0.1) not met; consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if your libraries are in a nonstandard prefix so pkg-config can find them.

Here's the contents of my /usr/local/lib folder:

glib-2.0			  libgmodule-2.0.so.0.0.7	libgthread-2.0.so.0
libatk-1.0.la			   libgobject-2.0.la		libgthread-2.0.so.0.0.7
libatk-1.0.so			  libgobject-2.0.so			  libpango-1.0.la
libatk-1.0.so.0				 libgobject-2.0.so.0		   libpango-1.0.so
libatk-1.0.so.0.0.3	   libgobject-2.0.so.0.0.7	 libpango-1.0.so.0
libglib-2.0.la			   libgpod.a				libpango-1.0.so.0.0.5
libglib-2.0.so			  libgpod.la			   libpangox-1.0.la
libglib-2.0.so.0		 libgpod.so					 libpangox-1.0.so
libglib-2.0.so.0.0.7	  libgpod.so.0				 libpangox-1.0.so.0
libgmodule-2.0.la	  libgpod.so.0.302.0		   libpangox-1.0.so.0.0.5
libgmodule-2.0.so	 libgthread-2.0.la		 pango
libgmodule-2.0.so.0	libgthread-2.0.so		   pkgconfig

libatk is there...but no atk.pc. And here's the worst part:

[root@Arochone urza9814]# find / atk.pc

find: atk.pc: No such file or directory

So...how do I get this thing to install right?

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Hi Urza,

I'd do the following:

1. Check wether the required version of atk is actually installed. Installed packages should show up at typing

"pkg-config --list-all".

2. Sometimes you have to enter "ldconfig" as root after installing from tarballs.

3. If the above does not help, check your /etc/ld.so.conf.

4. Maybe update pkg-config, too.

5. Find your atk.pc by using "locate or slocate"

Which system are you installing on? Mandriva doesn't like mixing up builds from source and .rpm

package installs that much, if you're not really experienced.

HTH,

scoonma

Well, it wasn't appearing when I did 'pkg-config --list-all', so I removed the folder, installed it all again from the tarball (about the 5th time I've done that...), and ran ldconfig afterwards, with no luck.

I did manage to find atk.pc though, after scanning the output from make install, I found it in /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig

Don't know what exactly /etc/ld.so.conf is, it currently has:

include ld.so.conf.d/*.conf
/usr/X11R6/lib
/usr/lib/qt3/lib

and I tried pkg-config --help, no update option, not sure how to do that....

I tried doing both 'pkg-config update' and 'pkg-config /usr/lib/local/pkgconfig/atk.pc' with no results.....

Installing on Mandriva 2006, all from the tar.bz2 files. Everything else seems to be working fine, just this atk.pc that I'm having trouble with.

Well, it wasn't appearing when I did 'pkg-config --list-all', so I removed the folder, installed it all again from the tarball (about the 5th time I've done that...), and ran ldconfig afterwards, with no luck.

I did manage to find atk.pc though, after scanning the output from make install, I found it in /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig

Don't know what exactly /etc/ld.so.conf is, it currently has:

include ld.so.conf.d/*.conf
/usr/X11R6/lib
/usr/lib/qt3/lib

ld.so.conf is the configuration file for locations of shared libraries. With standard options all library installations from tarball sources in Mandriva go into /usr/local/lib. So you should add the line "/usr/local/lib" to your ld.so.conf file. (See also http://www.daemon-systems.org/man/ld.so.conf.5.html )

Then update by "ldconfig".

If pkg-config is still unable to find atk.pc, you can use the environment variable PKG_CONFIG_PATH:

(From http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man1/pkg-config.1.html ):

"PKG_CONFIG_PATH A colon-separated (on Windows, semicolon-separated) list of directories to search for .pc files. The default directory will always be searched after searching the path; the default is libdir/pkgconfig where libdir is the libdir where pkg-config was installed."

You can do this by simply typing "PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$PKG_CONFIG_PATH:/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig" before installing gtk.This will add the local lib path of pkgconfig to the old (standard) path.

Good luck!

Scoonma

Well, that didn't work, so I rebooted just to be sure, and now whenever I try to run gaim or firefox I get the following error:

symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: undefined symbol: g_option_context_new

edit:

Appears to be a problem with glib, which is one of the things I updated, though I've rebooted since installing that...

Ah! after a bit of google, it seems a 'export PKG_CONFIG_PATH' fixed it up.

Edited by Urza9814

I wasn't sure which package you meant to install with --prefx=/usr, so first I tried it on gtk...didn't change anything. So I reinstalled atk using it, and then tried to install gtk normally, still failed, so then I tried installing gtk with the --prefix=/usr option, and still get the same error.

I'm starting to feel like either the package or my mandriva install is screwed up....