optimizing for better performance

Guest ramakan

Guest ramakan

Hi, I just installed Mandriva 2006 with the intention of running a web-mapping application called Geoserver. I have no serious issues running this app, but I find that the system slows down significantly when it is running. So, I am looking for a way to either slim down the KDE GUI footprint, or doing away with it altogether. Of course, this means that I would have to learn to do everything from the command-line, which is something I would rather avoid for now. I have disabled some of the services that I don't need such as those related to a UPS, printing (CUPS) and such, but it does not seem to be enough. Would recompiling the kernel with only the essentials be a solution? Am I looking for general pointers.

Thanks

it would be better if you dont run any X application on that server... or maybe after all the configurations or settings to run that server properly, you can then turn off X and KDE and since its a web based, then try to maintain it from remote PC via browser.. unless if you also use the subject as a Desktop...

Edited by aioshin

Try not using KDE? Boot into a different WM...try IceWM, Windowmaker or Fluxbox to start....

I believe the setting for that is in the bottom left corner at the login screen....not totally sure though.

Unless of course that's not an option for some reason that I'm missing....

Guest ramakan

Thanks for your responses.

This brings me to my next question, which is how to disable X altogether, but retaining the option of loading it from the command line when I want to?

You can disable it from starting on boot by going into MCC and, under boot > autologin, uncheck the 'launch the graphical environment when your system starts'

...that should do it at least...hah

then just type 'startx' when you want it back.

Edited by Urza9814

You can disable it from starting on boot by going into MCC and, under boot > autologin, uncheck the 'launch the graphical environment when your system starts'

...that should do it at least...hah

then just type 'startx' when you want it back.

Alternatively, edit /etc/inittab, and change this line:

id:5:initdefault:

to

id:3:initdefault:

it does the same thing as the gui thing, but I think editing files can sometimes be better and quicker. Also, post a list of services you have running, and I'll let you know which ones are safe to disable.