Integrating Firefox with KDE

pmpatrick

Came across this great article the other day in the gentoo wiki on how to integrate firefox with kde:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Integrate_Firefox_with_KDE

For all you kde users that are sick and tired of the gnome file save window that pops up in firefox everytime you want to download a file, the above article describes in detail how to change that so you get your usuall kde file save window. In addition, there are several other tips on integrating firefox with kde included in this excellent article. A must read for any kde user.

moved to tips and tricks by ianw1974 (felt this the best place for it)

Didnt read yet but thank you, I was looking for this for a long time, I hope it works for other apps too

edit\: it would seem not btw the path in mandriva is:

/usr/lib/mozilla-firefox-1.5.0.5/components/nsFilePicker.js (or whichever your installed version is)

Edited by ffi

Just to elaborate a bit, the file you need to edit is "nsFilePicker.js" which is located in the "components" subdirectory. I installed the updated firefox in my home directory using the linux package on the firefox website so mine is located at ~/firefox/components. It's pretty easy to find nsFilePicker.js just by locating your firefox "components" subdirectory.

nsFilePicker.js is a pretty large and confusing file. Open it with kwrite and hit F11 to show the line numbers. In my version of firefox(1.5.0.5), the place where you need to make the edit begins at line 268, YMMV. You probably want to back up your original nsFilePicker.js somewhere so you can recover if you screw up the edit.

One other tip - to make the edit take effect be sure to follow this direction in the article:

Important: to make this change take effect, you need to reset Firefox's chrome registry, which you can do by installing or disabling an extension, then restarting Firefox.

I forgot to do that and couldn't get it to work. After I uninstalled and reinstalled adblock, it worked fine.