madwifi and arch [solved]

OK - so my last card simply didn't seem to work under ndiswrapper or anything else, so I swapped it with someone at work.

The card I have now appears to have an atheros chipset, so I've installed madwifi. That seems to have worked Ok and I now have the ath_pci module which is being loaded perfectly well.

The trouble is that there is no XXX0 (i.e. ath0 or wlan0 or eth0) device at all...

I've added:

alias ath0 ath_pci

to my /etc/modprobe.conf I'm confident I've set everything up correctly in /etc/rc.conf

so - does anyone have any ideas as to why I'm getting no love from this card...?

Could it just be that the driver/card doesn't work (there is a light on at the back of the card...) or perhaps a solution that would make me happier...

wireless-tools is installed as part of the base install I believe - certainly it's installed...

considering the wiki tells you to explicitly install it, i'm not sure it is. you should check ;) (takes like 2 seconds :P)

Just as an offside, I never got madwifi to work with my atheros chipset card. I did however, get it working with ndiswrapper in arch though for a certain period until an upgrade broke it.

Mandriva also never worked with madwifi, but works well with ndiswrapper and my atheros ar5211+ I think.

wireless-tools is definately installed - and I'm pretty sure it happened during the install... Perhaps it's only included in the base in the later releases...

One thing I'm nto sure about from the wiki is:

wlanconfig ath0 create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode sta

although it seems to suggest it might not be necessary anyway... When I run that though I'm told that "sta" is an invalid option for create - should I be replacing it with something else...?

Othwerwise I may well just give Ian's suggestion of ndiswrapepr a go...