Sound but no video [solved]

CarlJF

Hi guys,

I've change my video card some time ago and, since then, I'm unable to view the video part of any video file. I got the sound playing, but the video window only shows a big blue square. This is happening no matter the video file format (mpg, divx, xvid, mov, avi...) and no matter the software used (mplayer, xine, totem, kafeine...). I've tried to deinstall/reinstall all video players and all codecs with no results. :wall:

When opening video file with mplayer, I get the following error message, before getting the sound and blue square:

Fatal Error!

Error opening/initializing the selected video_out (-vo) device

Any idea ? :huh2:

try ffi's suggestion, and if that doesn't work please post your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and also check in the configuration section of your video players and see what options are available for video out.

Thanks guys!

I've tried to change the preferences in mpplayer and now it works. In the preferences menu of mplayer, under the video tab, I've changed the video driver from "xv" to "x11" and now it works in mplayer. Doesn't works with other viewers however but it doesn't bother me since I prefer mplayer anyway...