Installing and Install Directories

praveenmarkandu

hi all.

i like linux(especially mandriva)...and i think it will suit me in due time and i could defiantely make the full switch to Linux and dump windows. but i have run into some problems which is the installation of software

i've become quite efficient at compiling sources using the ./configure and make commands. i try to keep most of my software in /opt directory (dont ask me why), stuff like LAMPP ,firefox, thunderbird and azureus.

but for some things i dont know really where they are installed to when i make them. i just downloaded mplayer to play my wmv files but when i try to launch it from the konsole, it goes it comes up as text in the console rather than launching a GUI like firefox. is there a certain way to install this or am i just missunderstanding the process?

this is what i did:

1. untar mplayer

2.move the untared directory to /opt

3. from /opt/mplayer i use the ./configure command

4. then i use the make command

5. and then the make install command

6. lastly i try to run the program by typing ./mplayer ( it launches but not as a GUI)

please help. TIA

IMHO it is almost always better to install from rpm (via urpmi) than install from source yourself. It's infinitely easier and all dependencies are sorted out for you. If you haven't used urpmi yet, you're missing a great tool.

And yes, mplayer is a command line tool, if you want a GUI you can get a little front-end application, which just uses mplayer in the background. I guess gmplayer is one of those, but I've never used it.

From urpmi you can only get old versions of mplayer, which playback decently, but they are... urghhh, darn ugly (gtk 1.2)

The current mplayer svn versions use gtk2 (yay!), but you shouldn't expect seeing them in Mandriva anytime soon.

Factly, they fail to compile cleanly at most distros ATM- more so under Mandriva. This is the price to be paid for bleeding edge, nothing particurarly useful to be done for that.

maybe OT, but FYI

i've become quite efficient at compiling sources using the ./configure and make commands. i try to keep most of my software in /opt directory (dont ask me why), stuff like LAMPP ,firefox, thunderbird and azureus.

The stuff that you put here are not actually the software you've compiled, these are still sources... if you run the ./configure with out prefixes, the software you've tried to install will go to /usr/local.. or to the default directory the package Makefile has been set.. try to ./configure --help for more options to choose on installing softwre from sources...

thanks for all your help guys. i have installed mplayer succesfully and added the GUI to it so its now gmplayer. but it gives me this

[root@localhost ~]# gmplayer

MPlayer 1.0pre8-4.0.1 © 2000-2006 MPlayer Team

CPU: Intel® Pentium® M processor 1.73GHz (Family: 6, Model: 13, Stepping: 8)

CPUflags: MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1

Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 SSE SSE2

[skin] file ( /usr/local/share/mplayer/Skin/default/skin ) not readable.

Skin not found (default).

i've put a skin in that directory but it cant seem to read it. much help appreciated