Mounting other linux partitions

Guest gaaslight

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you think that the titles are rather unappropriate, feel free to start a new "forum discussion" and propose some changes to title names there. We are open to all ideas you might have. :)

The trouble with much writing is that because those responsible for it are entirely clear about what they are saying, they imagine that their words will be clear also to those who read them.

Sometimes it's hard to determine exactly how to explain something to someone. We can't always be 100% sure of what the person we're trying to help knows - what experience they have in working with the system. Also, it can be hard to determine exactly what is wrong (largely due to not being physically in front of the system), and point in the right direction. This is why when my friends are having computer issues I generally just say "bring the system to me, or i'll come there to look at it" - because it's often hard to visualize exactly what is happening and express correctly (and in a manner the person on the opposite end can understand) what needs to be done.

Where exactly are you at with your system now? If you have lilo.conf's please post them (any and all) and also please post a layout of your partitions (/etc/fstab should probably do) so that we can look over them. If I can get a good picture of the layout of your system, and a few extra things, it's likely I can put together proper configuration files for you.

Quite right, Tyme. At the beginning anyway, it's difficult to gauge how little or how much a person knows. One can end up teaching the alphabet all over again, or else saying things which assume the most arcane knowledge.

Where am I at with my system? Far, far away. The Martians are able to see when I'm poking fun at myself, so they do not pounce on me to gouge out my eyes. That's to say, PCLOS is off my hard drive and /home of MDV is back to what it was. When I have the time and the inclination, I might have another go. By the by, sending you /etc/fstab might not have done, because one of the bigger problems was getting that very file in order.

Thanks for the offer of help.

There's no Mars bars on Mars. Wonder how the planet got its name.

There is no need for apologies as you didn't turn mad at me. At least that was my impression :D

Next time you try to set up a dual boot, I highly recommend to use grub for that task. Even if you don't want to learn a new bootloader, I can assure you that grub is way easier than lilo for setting up a dual-boot system (my own learning experience). And if something got messed up, grub is easier to fix as you can edit it from the initial boot-selection-screen, something that cannot be done with lilo. ;)

Arctic, I was roughly equal parts low and pissed off: all because of an unseen smiley. Back when I was young, the sort of answer I gave would have been thought pretty rude. Yes, there seems to be general agreement that Grub is much to be preferred as a bootloader. I've come across some other freeware ones too, of which the most promising seem to be Ranish and Gag. I'm in Netscape now, and I can see smileys: but this is Windows, so my config for that prog in Linux must be different.

Here's what I propose to do. I had resized Mandriva's /home with the PCLOS live CD and then put that OS on hard drive (and after removing it, resized again with the same live CD). I'll have a go at doing that again, except that this time I shall accept PCLOS' offer to set up a bootloader. If that seems dicey, I expect there will be a means of backing out.

In case PCLOS bootloader should be troublesome (I guess that it will work perfectly), you can still reinstall the Mandriva bootloader using either the first install-CD or by chrooting into the working Mdv distro and relaunch the bootloader installation from there. There cannot much be done wrong. And if you need help, you know where to find us. ;)

PCLOS installed, plus its LILO. It had put in win_c, which is where Windows boots from, and win_d, which has only data. Removed the second, Windows booting OK. It had not put in Mandriva, and I haven't so far managed to put it in manually. The entry /mnt/hda6/boot isn't accepted, not even with vmlinuz. The 2.6.15-oci3.lve is either common to both or else PCLOS is making unwarranted assumptions. It works all right, though: I'm in it right now, and my only grumble is that the type is too small for ageing eyes. Ah, yes, another grumble. The command ls /mnt/win_d brings up nothing at all.

[EDIT] Hours later. Booting into Windows. Booting into MDV, although at the first attempt the thing hung while B: drive kept spinning. Booting into PCLOS. Went part of the way to setting up colours and things the way I like them. Downloaded some software with Synaptic. Unable to install printer (Samsung ML-1450), though, despite having updated CUPS. Its driver is on a CD, and PCLOS does not seem to have recognised the R/W drive. The command ls /mnt shows the two windows partitions but none of the files in them.

Edited by payasam

Six days later. If I hadn't become tied up with domestic matters, I would've said that soon after my last post I managed to get things functioning pretty much as they should function. Or so I think, anyway. Am in MDV now, struggling to get my desktop icons in some sort of order, and after a bit will go into PCLOS to see what's what there.