eth0, eth1 and ppp0 fail to boot properly

Guest Sopwith

Guest Sopwith

I hve an HP Pavilion with Windows XP home edition to which I have added Mandriva Linux 2006. An external USB 56k modem for dial-up works with Windows XP but not with Linux where it would be most useful. I find that on booting the Linux system eth0, eth1 and ppp0 all fail to boot properly with additional info

eth0 Determining IP information for eth0.....failed

eth1 no message

ppp0 Error 2

When trying to set up the internet connection the modem shows as unconnected which I take to be a direct result of the above.

How do I fix this please. I have not found anything on the site that looked helpful. Instuctions need to be detailed as I am a beginner, but hoping to learn.

Thanks Sopwith

eth0 Determining IP information for eth0.....failed

maybe it been set-up to use DHCP but since there is no DHCP server available, so it failed.. try to open a konsole.. login as root by su then root password then type MCC (mandy control center) then from there you can configure network interface... (im on suse right now so I can't walk you thru)

eth1 no message

might be that its not been set to start at boot.. same process above...

im not sure about the modem, what kind of modem is that anyway.. dsl? try at MCC then hardware...

Edited by aioshin

Guest Sopwith

When trying to find out more about what is happening I logged into the control centre and then to system/lists and looked at the Syslog entries for pppd. There were lots of entries to the same format. below is a retyped version via windows

24/7 12:29:32 localhost ifup-ppp:pppd started for ppp0 on dev/modem at 115200

24/7 12:29:32 localhost pppd[6187] unrecognised option 'No'

The one exception I saw was where the second line after the bracket was

[8482]pppd 2.3.4 started by root, uid 0

[8482] connection script failed

[8284] exit

I do not understand the numbers and have no idea about what to do to solve the problem.

As background when I log on KDE is unstable at the start and usually crashes up to 9 times before going stable provided I start work - in Writer. If I am slow to start the machine locks up and I have to whitch off.

Today to the fist time Kat appeared. Nornally the icon flickers on and off and settles as off when stable. I cannot get any response fron Konqueror other than the egg timer as it loads.

What I need most is writer and email access via Linux

Sopwith

try to remove kat from your system...

as root on a konsole

urpme kat

or for gui

drakrpm-remove

then search for kat, if you search on this board, kat usually causes the slo down....

unrecognised option 'No'

so you are using dial-up... since you dont need ethernet interface, you may disable those via MCC..

the logs shows that the modem or might be KPPP has not been confirgured properly, try to reconfigure that via kppp interface...maybe some default options should be change..

Edited by aioshin

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Sopwith

Thanks for the comments. I have removed Kat and this has solved the stability problem with KDE. I deleted eth0 and eth1 using the MCC Network & Interface/Delete a network interface function. The 'fail to boot' problem has gone away but the connections are, I think, still there. I have tried to configure KPPP but always find that the modem is reported as 'modem busy. I have not managed to operate the Modem Terminal option properly and cannot see what is going on. Hence questions

1 How do I get the modem to reset so it can be used. From the KPPP manual setup screens the mini terminal reports modem busy and I can use the reset button to go to ready but by the time I get back to the 'connect' button it has reverted to busy.

2 how, simple idiot proof steps, can I run a modem session so that I can see what is going on.

3 If setting up KPPP is so important should there not be a clearer statement about or even a link from MCC Network & Internet.

Thanks Sopwith