various HD, CD drive, DVD drive questions

null

1. can linux take advantage of the "lightscribe" burners? Last I heard, k3b does not support lightscribe yet...

I'm thinking about coughing up the dough for an AOpen dual-layer DVD burner 8x, it's $59. The same burner, but with lightscribe capability is $79.

2. can you put in a "sata" HD as a 2nd HD in a machine that has an IDE HD? My win2k box has a sata mobo, but the 160GB HD in it is an IDE drive. I want to buy a 2nd drive for a dual-boot linux install. Is there any benefit of putting a sata drive in, I mean speed-wise?

SATA will be faster than IDE, and I think SCSI is even faster than SATA, but costs more of course.

And yes, you should be able to run both IDE and SATA together, because I had an IDE and SATA in my work machine at one point, and all was OK. I'm just unsure of which one it'll pick to boot first, so check in your BIOS and set accordingly so that your IDE boot first, since this one already has the main OS on it.

1. No, not yet.

And I don't see why you have to buy the AOpen drive... AOpen has stopped making drives of their own, the one you look after is an OEM/rebadged LiteOn 165P6S with riplock firmware... I guess you can buy a 165P6S and flash it to whatever you like, lighscribe abilities included.

2. Yes- this is possible with most mobo chipsets. I have 2 SATA, one IDE and one Atapi devices on my i865 mobo, without the need for extra controllers.

I read something about a year ago about some kind of firmware coming...

when I go shopping for a new drive, I hope they disclose this stuff on the outside of the box somewhere... or maybe I should just keep using the old one in my win2k box. Its an old sony (not my favorite company) 4x single-layer dvd/cd burner, still works good though.

The burner in my mandriva box is a newer (a year old) AOpen 8x dual-layer dvd burner, which I really like.

So do SATA drives have the master/slave jumpers on them like IDE drives? My IDE 160GB drive with win2k is jumpered either Single, or Master w/no slave...

When I put in a SATA drive, I will want to install a linux distro on it, probably arch - to learn linux better. During install, will I just let it install the bootloader to the MBR...? I will let it partition the entire SATA drive for linux.

Edited by null

No, there's no master/slave jumpers. Reason why is that this is sorted out by the controller or motherboard if you have sata onboard. There's usually two connectors, one is /dev/sda and the other /dev/sdb. So if you get one or the other, it shows which port it's connected to on the controller/motherboard.

Makes things much easier than setting master/slave.

I'd be careful with the bootloader. Because you have an existing one on your IDE device, and if you leave this to boot first, Arch will probably overwrite it on here and then you'll be left without being able to boot your existing distro. You should just be able to leave it without overwriting, and then edit the lilo.conf or menu.lst/grub.conf file and add the arch distro manually, and then boot this way. Much easier and stops you losing boot entries.

Alternatively, you could use the BIOS to switch booting IDE/SATA devices so that it would boot SATA first, and then have the Arch distro write to /dev/sda and then when you want to go back to booting the IDE, make the change in the BIOS and then boot the other distro. However, bit of fiddling around all the time, so the first option is prob better. I just suggested this in case you didn't want to manually edit the config files yourself.

Most of the people I know that are doing builds are using either NEC or LiteOn for DVD-RW drives. You can usually find a special on them over at newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/SubCateg...p?SubCategory=5

Or ZipZoomFly:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductList....B&Brand=NEC

You shouldn't be paying more than around $40 for a decent drive. $60 for an 8X DVD burner is way overpriced when you can get 16X dual layer dvd burners for $40. Both of the above vendors are very reliable and generally recommended by people in the states that do their own builds.

sheesh... I remember paying something like $200 for my Sony dvdburner, but that was several years ago...

the prices I mentioned on the AOpen burners was at a local computer hardware store, so it was probably "full retail". Haven't shopped around on the net yet.

over at cdfreaks.com, they are pretty high on LG burners, so I'm going to probably get an LG H10L, which has lightscribe capability. Even though linux doesn't yet support lightscribe, if I burn a lightscribe CD or DVD in linux, I can just do the label later in windoze.

Seems about all drives now have riplock, but it is supposedly easy to remove by firmware change, although you probably don't really need to, at least I may not even want to bother.

You can usually find a special on them over at newegg

I made an order with newegg 4 days ago (my first order with them), I used paypal, but I used an "unconfirmed" address... so they VOIDED the order right away... Unfortunately, they took my paypal payment anyway, and now 4 days later they still have not returned my money. I have emailed them several times, and did the "live chat" with a rep, and they always say "we'll put a rush on your refund...". It was for a 2nd HD for my win2k box, for a dual-boot debian install. I'm pretty turned off on newegg at this point.

Edited by null

Wow. I paid $240 for my Sony DVD+/-R/RW 8x a couple years ago. This just rubs it in even more.

Yes, there is a noticeable speed difference between SATA and IDE...especially when formatting. My 160 GB SATA drive can do a full format in like 2 seconds, compared to about 30 minutes for my 80 GB IDE. I don't believe hdparm -tT figures are reliable for SATA, as I don't believe the technology is fully supported by hdparm and I haven't heard of any utility that can accurately do the read/write timings of SATA. I could be wrong, because I haven't checked into it lately.

I'm sure LightScribe would come to Linux soon. I had already read on a site about how to use the normal laser on your CD burner to burn an image into the unused portion of the 'write' side of your CD. Can't recall the site, as I have been looking lately for the same reason (possibility of LightScribe working).

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire

Wow. I paid $240 for my Sony DVD+/-R/RW 8x a couple years ago.

Yeah, my sony (the model before yours, only 4x) was about the same price a few years ago. Today I bought an LG H10L 16x DVD+/-R/RW, dual layer & lightscribe for $82 at Worst Buy, I mean Best Buy. Couldn't find it at newegg.com or amazon.com.

Burned my first lightscribe label just now, looks like...s**t. Takes a little practice with what type of images to use. Besides that, I burned a "Grandma's Boy" label on my 40 yr old virgin disk... oops.

I'm sure LightScribe would come to Linux soon. I had already read on a site about how to use the normal laser on your CD burner to burn an image into the unused portion of the 'write' side of your CD.

that's called DISCT@2 I think. Yamaha developed it.

Edited by null