FlashPlayer in Firefox...

dmzeplin

Hi guys.... Something I must have missed or need one more job to be done... I installed Flashplayer /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox1.0.6/plugins no problem...

When I go on ESPN and there is right side which showed media video... But it showed only white square with letters saying:

:huh:

In order to watch videos, please download Macromedia Flash Player™

:huh:

Where shall I add ???

Thanks!

The videos on that site require Flash 8.0+, and for the moment there is no reliable way to playback those videos under Linux... sorry (only Flashplayer 7,0,63,0 is available). Macromedia/Adobe has promised Flashplayer 9.X for Linux a long time ago, but ATM there is none.

Maybe Internet Sexploiter 6.X and Flashplayer 8.X+ under wine- but since I never tried it, I cannot promise it will work.

Edited by scarecrow

The videos on that site require Flash 8.0+, and for the moment there is no reliable way to playback those videos under Linux... sorry (only Flashplayer 7,0,63,0 is available). Macromedia/Adobe has promised Flashplayer 9.X for Linux a long time ago, but ATM there is none.

Maybe Internet Sexploiter 6.X and Flashplayer 8.X+ under wine- but since I never tried it, I cannot promise it will work.

No wonder, when I saw Flashplayer and had clicked to install, but it said Flashplayer 7.0?? I tried to look for Flashplayer 9 and was unable to figure why do I get 7 instead of 9...

By the way, I remember I used to download it from Macromedia site... but I didn't realized it had changed to Abode site?? Is that something that caused for whatever reasons??

By the way, I remember I used to download it from Macromedia site... but I didn't realized it had changed to Abode site?? Is that something that caused for whatever reasons??

Macromedia was acquired by Adobe some months ago.

Flash 9 is ATM windows only- AFAIK not even supported under MACOS X, let alone Linux. Hopefully next spring (32-bit systems only - as told above), but don't take it for granted! B)

Edited by scarecrow

Macromedia was acquired by Adobe some months ago.

Flash 9 is ATM windows only- AFAIK not even supported under MACOS X, let alone Linux. Hopefully next spring (32-bit systems only - as told above), but don't take it for granted! B)

Yea, alright... :zzz: Let us rest this case until few months... Hopefully, we will get it... :thumbs: Actually, we will! :tux:

• 2 months later...

A lot of the time these sites actually work but FAIL on the browser detection....

I kid you not I had to see one last week and the front page simply said USE FLASH.... neither konq nor firefox worked....even though flash was installed BECAUSE they prevented anyone using anything BUT IE.....

If you then choose a page at random inside the site (using google) it worked!

If I set konqueror to pretend to be IE running on XP it worked at the front page.....

Try here:

http://www.mapr.org/

now try part of the site

http://www.mapr.org/El Museo.aspx

Weird, they just don't want non IE people ....

Now try in Konqueror/Identification setting browser string for www.mapr.org (Tools/configuration/browser id/)TO

MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1....

<script language="VBScript" type="text/vbscript">
<!-- // Visual basic helper required to detect Flash Player ActiveX control version information
Function VBGetSwfVer(i)
 on error resume next
 Dim swControl, swVersion
 swVersion = 0

set swControl = CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash." + CStr(i))
 if (IsObject(swControl)) then
swVersion = swControl.GetVariable("$version")
 end if
 VBGetSwfVer = swVersion
End Function
// -->
</script>

<script language="JavaScript1.1" type="text/javascript">
<!-- // Detect Client Browser type
var isIE  = (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("MSIE") != -1) ? true : false;
var isWin = (navigator.appVersion.toLowerCase().indexOf("win") != -1) ? true : false;
var isOpera = (navigator.userAgent.indexOf("Opera") != -1) ? true : false;
jsVersion = 1.1;

And this is being paid for with PUBLIC MONEY.....and as you can see its designed to ID the OS as well and block non Windows regardless!!!!

Edited by Gowator