The DVD Ripping Thread

null

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I meant to the other night on my acidrip to see why you were getting the error message.

If I don't do it tonight, I'll sort it tomorrow for sure, and post back here.

You could also take a look at the newest k9copy- just installed it (1.1.0 beta1).

It even rips directly to avi (either xvid or x264). The xvid part works fine, but slowly (slower than say a two-pass avi conversion with Gordian Knot for windoze), but the output is pretty good. The x264 coversion does not work for me- the whole conversion from DVD lasts about seven minutes (!!!), but in the end there is NO output .avi file! :D

maybe tomorrow make How-to. Only price device recording DVD-RW = CD-RW, price plates CD-R = DVD-R difference is not big.

This game is worth candle? .....Lex

maybe tomorrow make How-to. Only price device recording DVD-RW = CD-RW, price plates CD-R = DVD-R difference is not big.

This game is worth candle? .....Lex

Huh?

I probably don't understand you... but if you claim that avi ripping is a thing from the past, because blank media are nowadays very cheap, then you're right... but avi encodes aren't always aimed at compatible standalones!

With them you can watch a video from HD, encoded in avi, with no noticeable loss in quality (at least not noiceable at the regular computer screens).

Well, I checked it. I launched acidrip, and if I click Load DVD I get an error, but I didn't put a dvd in anyway :P

So, I put one in, clicked it again, and it worked just as I expected it to.

An error occured while running DVDAuthor:

well, I just tried to backup one of my DVDs with k9copy, but as soon as I click the "copy" button, I get the dvdauthor error...

Tried acidrip on the same dvd, at least it starts doing something... the dvd drive light is flashing and the HD light also... and it says "encoding film"

edit: .... an hour and a half later... lights are still flashing on and off... still says encoding film... but the Status dialog box still shows encoding speed 0 and Time encoded 0:00. So I guess its not really doing anything....

I don't know why there's great "free" progs for windows that do this stuff easily, but in linux... forget it.

maybe its mandriva, I don't know. Need to try these programs under another distro. DVDshrink and DVDdecrypter under windows aren't exactly "simple simon" programs... but I figured them out quickly and have not ever had any trouble with them.

Some of these linux progs, such as k9copy and xdvdshrink, have way simpler interfaces than the 2 windows progs mentioned above, but they still don't work, at least for me.

edit: My Great Linux DVD Backup Experiment is officially ended now anyway. The old sony DVD burner in my windows box died tonight, after many years of service. So I had to pull out the burner from my mandriva box to stick in my windows box. No burning on mandriva for a while until I can pick up another drive.

Edited by null