The DVD Ripping Thread

null

Installed k9copy with urpmi. Installed dvdshrink with urpmi. Neither works. You would think that installing packages with urpmi would result in packages that work, but apparantly not.

k9copy doesn't even load, it crashes immediately. Since was installed with urpmi, seems like whatever dependencies there are would have been taken care of.

dvdshrink opens up just fine, and it looks like a nice simple interface. I have used dvdshrink & dvddecrypter alot in windows with no problem, but this one is obviously something completely different. So anyway, it loads up nicely, however when I click the various buttons.... Title Info "Get from DVD" it just pops up a blank dialog box. The other buttons do the same thing (nothing). It does get the name of the dvd correctly when I click that button

First, how do you see what your DVD device is... what's the way to show it? Hopefully its just something simple like wrong dev (it starts up with "/dev/dvd" but maybe that's not right. Here's the errors:

libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.9 for DVD access
libdvdread: Could not open /dev/dvd with libdvdcss.
libdvdread: Can't open /dev/dvd for reading
(iodump.c) unable to open directory "/dev/dvd"

comments about any other burning/ripping software appreciated.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as k9copy, I have no idea (mine crashes too). As far as dvdshrink, what is the output of

ls -l /dev/dvd

?

(dvdshrink only operates in console mode for me....is there a commandline option for a graphical interface?)

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire

Steve & scarecrow -

sorry for the confusion. I did #urpmi dvdshrink and what got installed is called "xdvdshrink". It appears to be a completely diff program than the dvdshrink in windows - I'm very familiar with the windows version.

The way I found out about it is from the "other" dvdshrink thread, where someone told the original poster that dvdshrink was available in the urpmi repos.

It looks like a really nice gui for ripping & optionally shrinking DVDs. Let me say that I very rarely do this stuff, but it is the ONLY thing I still do in windows that I don't know how to do in linux. After this problem is taken care of, there is no reason for me to have a "winblows" box at home.... :D

lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 3 Jul 21 20:49 /dev/dvd -> hdd

If You can make copy dvd to dvd I use only console,

dd if=/dev/hdc of=/home/user/dvd.img

mkdir /kino

mount -o loop /home/user/dvd.img /kino

xine /kino

k3b --dvdimage /home/user/dvd.img

member maybe this is illegal. Look KLVEmkdvd. For dvdvideo on cd I use Gmencoder, Kmenc ....Lex

I don't want to use windoze progs under wine... so I'm trying out various open source progs. Bad luck with k9copy, crashes immediately. Don't even know what version I have since it won't even load. xdvdshrink looks nice, but I don't know if my "/dev/dvd" is correct.

I just installed acidrip with urpmi, and it also looks nice. However, my bad luck is still holding true. acidrip is also using "/dev/dvd" but it is saying

DVD not found. Drive empty?

there is a DVD in the drive.

k9copy, xdvdshrink, acidrip - strike 3, I'm out ?

Edited by null

Just change it to something else instead. /dev/dvd should point to a drive on your system be it /dev/hdc or /dev/hdd. If you do:

ls -l /dev/dvd

you'll see where it's going. If you're really having problems, the most easiest way is check your /etc/fstab about. Depending on if you have one or two CD/DVD drives, then you'll have two entries of /dev/hdc or /dev/hdd. I use acidrip on my system, and even dvdshrink (Linux version), and both work perfectly well. I do remember the /dev/dvd error message, but I'm pretty sure I did what I just suggested.

yes, I had already tried others: it defaulted to /dev/dvd, but I tried it with /dev/hdd, and also /mnt/cdrom.

DVDshrink (the linux version) always says that "it appears there is no DVD there..."

The buttons for Get Subtitle Info, and Get Audio Stream Info actually work (they read the disk and return the proper info) when I use /mnt/cdrom. But then when you say Start Copy, it says there's no DVD...

I'll have to check when I get on my computer next. I think there is a button you need to click first to read the track info on the disk before choosing start copy. Maybe this is why you get the error message, but I'm unsure. I do remember getting this error, just not sure what I did now.

thanks ian. I was able to get the track info already - depending on what I had the dvd device set as... some settings got the track info, some would not...

even if it got the track info, it still gave errors about no dvd, or "could not open dvd with css..."

what version are you running?

I don't know how to tell what version I'm running of k9copy. It won't even load up, so I can't click "About k9copy". Is there another way to tell?

steve mentioned his crashes also.

when I get home, I'll try it from cmd line to see any messages...

edit: on some other boards, many people have said that dvdshink (the linux version "xdvdshrink") results in better quality than k9copy. I would still like to be able to run k9copy though.

Edited by null

This is what I have on Mandriva 2006, and it too bombs with an signal 11 error (sigsegv).

And the backtrace:

(no debugging symbols found)
Using host libthread_db library "/lib/tls/libthread_db.so.1".
`shared object read from target memory' has disappeared; keeping its symbols.
[Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
[New Thread -1231439488 (LWP 6354)]
[KCrash handler]
#4  0x080611f6 in QMemArray<char>::detach ()
#5  0x081e3fa8 in ?? ()
#6  0x00000000 in ?? ()