modem query

I have a sony vaio fj270 and i have installed mandriva 2006 and am setting up kppp which is going rather smoothly. The only problem is that when i query the modem it keeps coming up modem is busy ???? I went into the Mandriva Control Center to set-up the connection and the same thing happens ?? Is their something I can do to help the computer recognize the modem, because in essence the computer isn't reading the modem or more appropriately not connecting with the modem properly ???

any suggestions please ..

[moved from hardware by tyme]

yea, it is a laptop, so the modem is internal V.90 fax modem if that helps ??? What would be the problem,??? the computer doesn't want to read the modem, when i try it, the computer says the modem is busy, but how can it be busy when the modem isn't being read and the internet connection hasn't been established ?????

since it is a notebook, it is surely a win-modem, which might give you some troubles, since there may be no drivers for them

if it is a ltmodem (lucent/agere), there are drivers for them somewhere on the net, but you might have to install them by hand, if you're using a boxed-edition of mandriva, there should be some win-modem-drivers included, but I don't know for which models at the moment

if you don't use a modem dialup-connection you might never need it

I have a ltmodem in my notebook, but since I'm on dsl I never use it, so I don't bother about configuring it

I once had it working (there were rpms for it for elder mandrake-versions) and it did not pose any problems, it just worked

basically these win-modems are dumb, they have no own modem-controller but need the cpu (and a driver) for processing, so in the end they put some load on your cpu, but not that much that you really need to worry about, and if the driver is written without too many faults there is no problem for the system, but if you don't use it, there's no real need to get it working