Common File Dialogs

hanes

I am always confused with the file dialogs, sometimes I change an icon and it will be one type of dialog, next thing I know I do the same thing, and its a different type of dialog. I think its the KDE and Gnome Dialog, I use KDE and like the KDE style. Is there anyway to force my programs to use it exclusively?

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

if it's a GTK2 app it will use the GTK2/GNOME file dialog, if it's a QT app it will use the KDE/QT file dialog. To only use the KDE one you should only use QT/KDE applications - otherwise you're going to see both dialogs.

I heard SUSE made a version of Firefox using the Qt dialogue

They'd have to rewrite the code in one way or another to do that Firefox used to have it's own dialog but started using the GTK2 dialog in 1.5.x, IIRC. There was a Qt-Mozilla project 2 years or so ago but I haven't heard anything of it since then and all the sites I found have no recent news.

I have installed gtk-qt-engine-0.7-0.20050303.2mdk.i586.rpm with Mandriva 2005. This controls gtk application themes and influences firefox and adobe reader for example. As I understand it this engine behaves like a normal gtk theme engine, but calls functions from qt.

After installation, under the KDE Control Center/Appearance & Themes I now have an entry called "GTK Styles and Fonts". Selecting this item I have the option to "use my KDE style in GTK applications". This works so-so.