Video Editing Software

xoox

Hi.

I'm intending to get a camcorder (miniDV or miniDVD format). There seems to be cool and easy-to-use software for capturing, editing and creating DVDs out there... for Windows (e.g. Ulead VideoStudio 10+).

Now how about Linux? I'm looking for something that can import the miniDVD format for simple editing and the creation of fill-size DVDs or something that can import the AVI from the miniDV for DVD output after editing. Suggestions? Does not need to be OpenSource or free.

kino is what most people use for importing digital video from camcorders, through the firewire port. Seems like a nice program.

I just started playing around with digital video on linux a few weeks ago. took a while to get the capturing figured out, but I did. Now I'm stuck on the exporting feature, where you take your edited video clips and export them to mpeg, or DVD files which can then be burned to dvd (or converted then burned?) with a dvd burning program.

DVDStyler is a program that takes exported video from kino, and authors DVDs - you can make menu backgrounds, buttons, etc.

Like I said, I'm still stuck on the part of exporting from kino and then using dvdstyler. I'm also having trouble getting help with this stuff, not only on this forum, but on other forums as well. googling turns up tons of info about this stuff though. Hopefully you are smarter than me, and soon I can get help from you...!!

good luck

edit: my camcorder is a miniDV, and kino imports very nicely from it. kino also has some nice editing features, mostly basic stuff.

Edited by null

I have used Kino in the past, and it's much better than the software for Windows that was bundled with the camera itself (a Panasonic MiniDV).

Linux Format did a tutorial on DVD authoring using kino and dvdauthor in June 2005 (LXF 67), which they have helpfully made available on line at http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/pdfs/LXF67.tut_begin.pdf.

This is what I used to produce a DVD from my imported home movies.

I'm in the same boat at the moment. Mine are in mpeg format so kino is no use to me, but I've installed qdvdauthor, but can't seem to find any features for transitions between scenes.

I'm having a go at installing cinelerra now to check this out, and also dvdstyler to see how they go. Will post back on what works best.

DVDstyler seems like a nice program. Nice GUI, drag & drop simplicity. It doesn't like anything I export with kino though. If I export as "mpeg2" in kino, dvdstyler doesn't like it. If I export as "DVD", dvdstyler gives me an error message "this is an audio file, you must have a video file". If I export as a dvd "vob" in kino, dvdstyler just freezes up and I have to "kill" it.

could be "pebkac", but I'm tired of messing with it... :wall:

Edited by null

Cinelerra does seem to offer what I want, but doesn't work how I'd expect it to, looks a bit complicated.

Nothing else seems to offer transitions though, which is unfortunate, and I'd hate to have to use Windows and PowerDVD Creator.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I finally bought a Sony SR100, which records MPEG2 files on a 30GB HDD. I'll look through your recommended programs to find a suitable one. It seems there is quite a choice out there, even for Linux. :) For DVD authoring, the KDE DVDAuthor Wizard looks promissing. I'll check that one as well.

I have a JVC Everio that records onto a 20GB hdd in mpeg2 format. I unfortunately couldn't author all the mini videos together with transitions in Linux. Although I believe Cinelerra can do this, just looked a bit complicated and the video on-screen in Cinelerra made me think I'd lose quality.

Each time you press stop on mine, it starts a new video, so I had lots of small videos to join together. I used Windows and the PowerDVD Creator app that came with the camera to create this. I then used another Windows app to create the vob files for DVD - although klvemkdvd will do this for you in Linux.

I then used K3B for putting all the files on DVD so I could watch it on the normal TV through my DVD player.

Guest omenone

I don't know much about linux but I do know video. Try chainsaw linux, it is configured for editing and has built in software for editing. I was gonna try it soon.

Whatever you choose make sure it and you uses AVI as the source video file not MPEG. I have yet to see a program edit MPEG well on any OS. I use Macs and Win editing stations with Adobe & Final Cut. This is a limitation of the mpeg format not the software or platform.

"records onto a 20GB hdd in mpeg2 format. I unfortunately couldn't author all the mini videos together with transitions in Linux."

I am almost certen this is the same problem. Some windows programs almost do this but most are poor quality, DV 720x480 (not even Broadcast TV) at best. If you try you are likely to see ghosting, skipping and other problems in the final render.

Even from a hda camera you will want to transcode the MPEG to AVI.

Good luck