sed problems

I'm trying to run the following line in a bash script:

sed -n s/localhost:1433/164.11.132.104:1433/g myuwe/apps/uPortal/properties/PersonDirs.xml

My understanding is that ant instances of the string "localhost:1433" should be replaced by "164.11.132.104:1433", but this doesn't seem to be happening...

What am I getting wrong...?

Try

sed -i -e "s/localhost:1433/164.11.132.104:1433/g" myuwe/apps/uPortal/properties/PersonDirs.xml

-i means write the modified file back to where it was (in-place), and -e means that the following parameter is the expression to use (rather than reading a script from a file).

It would appear that -i is not an argument all versions of sed will accept. It works quite happily in cygwin for example, but not on solaris where only -n -e and -f are supported

Can anyone come up with a simple alternative?

Best I can suggest is

sed -e "s/whatever/something else/g" file1 > file2

this will pipe the output to a new file. For some reason it doesn't like piping back to the same file it's trying to read from. But you can check the second file and then copy it back over the first one :)

On the original sed command:

sed -i -e "s/localhost:1433/164.11.132.104:1433/g" myuwe/apps/uPortal/properties/PersonDirs.xml

I've made two very minor changes:

perl-i -pe "s/localhost:1433/164.11.132.104:1433/g" myuwe/apps/uPortal/properties/PersonDirs.xml

and it seems to be working a treat. I was trying to avoid perl because I was actually porting from a perl script and it did a whole bunch of complicated stuff... The fact, however, that I can use perl as a simple command - like sed (almost exactly like sed as it turns out...) means that it's still a bash script and I can understand and maintain it easily :thumbs: