The amazing variety of gentoo

Guest ndeb

I like LFS so far but it's really too early to say I love it. From the LFS site (mirror) you download a 103MB tar that contains all the pkgs required to boot into a non-X env. You're on you own with deps. But there's BFS (Beyond linux From Scratch) docs that help with this sorta thing though I haven't read it and haven't installed enough to have any dep probs (yet). You can install apt-get (deb) though or some other....I want to look into synaptic. There's also LFS-hints that help with howto's like X, devfs/d, kde3, and others. All can be read from the site in html if you want to review it.

My original plan was to try gentoo but I just don't need it all....who does? I also chose this route to learn more.

I like LFS so far but it's really too early to say I love it. From the LFS site (mirror) you download a 103MB tar that contains all the pkgs required to boot into a non-X env. You're on you own with deps. But there's BFS (Beyond linux From Scratch) docs that help with this sorta thing though I haven't read it and haven't installed enough to have any dep probs (yet). You can install apt-get (deb) though or some other....I want to look into synaptic. There's also LFS-hints that help with howto's like X, devfs/d, kde3, and others. All can be read from the site in html if you want to review it.

My original plan was to try gentoo but I just don't need it all....who does? I also chose this route to learn more.

Ok so it seems a Gentoo distro without Portage.. :roll: Well, what is Gentoo without Portage ? And the cd is quite big compared to Stage 1 Gentoo (about 39 Megs). Anyway. I'll check the doc thanks !

MOttS

A really nice thing about LFS is you are learning a LOT about Linux. How everything ties together, etc. You get the same thing with the source based distros, but absolutely not to the same extent.

While aru was joking, a lot of people ask what advantages there are to using Source Mage when you can just change your optimizations in Mandrake....

The speed is of course very nice, since everything is compiled for your architecture. For me though, one of the nicest things is that I don't have to deal with the "dependency hell" I had with RPM-based systems (and before you start wondering, I also use Debian). Many people have asked me what is so great about it, since I have to download the libraries anyway, and they can just download an RPM themselves. The thing is, when you install an RPM, it comes compiled looking (in many cases) for a particular version of a library, then you install another RPM, and it wants a different version of the library - meanwhile, the libraries come expecting you to have particular versions of other files..... With a source based distro, you download and compile the library once, and then when you want to install another program, you download it and compile it yourself, with it using the libraries that you already have installed.

Also, you can configure programs just as you like them. Why have a program compile to use all sorts of hardware that you don't actually have?