The amazing variety of gentoo

Guest ndeb

Well... for gentoo, the end result is nice.. but the installation and compiling is a pain, since it is source based.. I don't recommend doing a gentoo installation without a backup computer in which you can do stuff with since it can take a full day to install..

Maybe after I get my second computer working I can try gentoo.. other than that... mandrake is still my primary linux distro :)

Actually, that kind of depends upon which stage you start with. You can start with everything precompiled for an i686, completely usable.... then, while you're actually using the computer, you can have it compiling itself for your particular architecture in the background.

since it can take a full day to install..

:D or you can do a stage1 install like I did on my Dual Pentium3 1gig with 1gig or RAM

and it took me 12 hours before I reboot after an install ... and 3 days before I had X fluxbox and mozilla

:P worth it tho' I think

If you do LFS yourself you get the end result in a lot shorter period of time because you only include the apps you want. I'm not done yet but I did LFS, Xfree86, Opera, waimea and sylpheed and what they require in 2 days on a 600MHz, 192MB, Maxtor7200rpm, crap 66fsb. It's snappy :D Keep in mind it doesn't do anything for you. You get bash-2.05b for a prompt, and no color in vim. You're on you own. Heck, to boot I had to install devfsd and do some file/script editing but you don't have to go this route but I used my .config from the mdk kernel.

since it can take a full day to install..

:D or you can do a stage1 install like I did on my Dual Pentium3 1gig with 1gig or RAM

and it took me 12 hours before I reboot after an install ... and 3 days before I had X fluxbox and mozilla

There's also the option of installing them (Gentoo, SMGL, etc.) from a chrooted environment from inside of a running Mandrake machine, if you have the disk space for both distros. That way you could be running Mandrake while the source-based distro was installing

It takes you 12 hours to install gentoo on a dual p3-1ghz with 1 ghz of ram?! And 3 days for X, fluxbox and mozilla? Sheesh!!!! Here I thought I can finish installing gentoo on a 900 MHz Athlon Thunderbird with 256 MB of RAM in just 2 days nonstop..

No seriously, how fast can one install gentoo on that type of computer, if all I want is server stuffs, X, a light DE such as XFCE or IceWM, mozilla, and OpenOffice? I really am dying to try gentoo on my second spare computer (as soon as it is built).

mozilla took me 2 hours *ish

openoffice took 12 hours *ish

x took 5-7 (not sure I went to sleep)

fluxbox took me 2-3minutes

warning !!!!

firstly do an lsmod on your mandrake so you know what drivers you have loaded.

and take a backup of XFree86-4 config file (its like gold)

Well, I'm using an Athlon 1200. For me (with Source Mage) it took me about two hours to rebuild my base system. About 4-6 hours to build X, less than five minutes for fluxbox (these times varied, depending upon which kernel (preempt, etc.) I was using). My Gentoo times were equivalent, but a little longer - again though, you can use their stage3 tarball, where everything is precompiled.

I reinstalled Gentoo when KDE 3.1 came out. I started from Stage 1 and after stage 1, 2, 3 and the final step, I typed 'uptime && emerge kde && uptime' and it took exactly 23 hours and 51 minutes to compile kde 3.1 and it's dependencies (total : 72 packages). Notice that after the 3 steps, you have an up to date system optimised for your hardware but pretty much nothing is installed. I compiled with CFLAGS="-mcpu=athlon-xp -O3 -pipe" and CFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -O3 -pipe". The system is a Duron 1300 with 512 Meg ram. A Duron (Morgan core!! ... not Spitfire) is an Athlon-xp with less cache....

BVC, I have some questions for you.. how's LFS so far ? Do you have to download the packages yourself from various location before to compile them or they provide a website (or mirror) containing all of them ? Do you have to check the dependencies yourself or they provide a certain gideline like Portage on Gentoo ?

Viva linuX !

MOttS

Why do you want to go to those exotic distros if you can get the same result with mandrake?

Do something like this using your own highly optimized CFLAGS:

for package in $(rpm -qa); do

srcpackage={package/.rpm/.src.rpm}

wget -c ${someSRCmirror}/${srcpackage}

if [ -f ${srcpackage} ]; then

rpm --rebuild ${srcpackage} 

fi

done

And that's all, you'll replace every single i586-precompiled-package with your iOWN-compiled-and-optimized-one

:mrgreen:

(It's a joke, don't use that code ;) )