Kubuntu 6.06

Are there differences between Kubuntu and Ubuntu other than the kde vs gnome focus? I thought they were the same. I have read elsewhere that 6.06 was not too much to write home about. But I have not installed Ubuntu since a year and a half ago and have not played with it since. (BTW, I used arch about 2 1/2 years ago)

Ubuntu = Gnome, Kubuntu = KDE.

You can get or have both if you install Ubuntu by either doing a apt-get install kde-desktop (if you just want the reg. kde) or if you want Kubuntu by doing a apt-get install kubuntu.

Far as writing home to some have good experiences some have bad just like any other disto has. Just my opinion.

Are there differences between Kubuntu and Ubuntu other than the kde vs gnome focus? I thought they were the same. I have read elsewhere that 6.06 was not too much to write home about. But I have not installed Ubuntu since a year and a half ago and have not played with it since. (BTW, I used arch about 2 1/2 years ago)

I prefer the tool that come with Ubuntu to Kubuntu for managing users/packages but you'd probably use command line for this anyway so it won't make much of a difference.

At my work i have tried 6.06 on a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo and it looks nice, my graphicscard is regonized (ATI), PCMCIA, W-lancard, sound it's all been regonized. The W-lan isn't work because of the damn button that's activated it (same on Mandriva 2006). The HP PSC 1410 is been seen but don't work with the live CD.

But i still prefer Mandy :thumbs:

(in fact, i think it's kinda stupid to post that sort of stuff - obviously ubuntu won't ever have pacman, because it's debian-based so it uses apt-get, which makes your post completely irrelevant and useless...but that's just MHO ;) )

It would be more than stupid and useless, if apt-get had a meaninful way to remove redundant packages.

Sadly enough, it doesn't... (maybe aptitude does? dunno).

This is the one bad thing about apt-get, and the other one is that it will refuse to do anything if there are a couple of broken (and possibly unfixable, temporarily) packages in your system.

Aptitude does that.

So if you want/try XFCE4 on Kubuntu you just sudo aptitude install xubuntu-desktop and it installs all the things there is needed. When you decide you won't use XFCE4 you simple sudo aptitude remove xubuntu-desktop and it removes all the packages which was installed with xubuntu.

Well both have clean and smooth interface, minimal is installed that's a plus in my book. Other than what I told earlier I can't put my fingers on what else.

There's a kubuntu dedicated page if you wanna look: http://kubuntu.org/ also check http://www.ubuntulinux.nl/source-o-matic to setup your soucelist completly.

Edited by Artificial Intelligence

there is deborphan too, which searches your system for unneeded libraries and stuff and removes them if you wish (afaik it is available for most deb-based systems)

so no need for pacman :D

for Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu:

basically they are all Ubuntu, they just use different desktop environments (where is e(nlightenment17)buntu ? :lol2: , would like it !)

you can install all these DEs on one system, so you can have ubuntu with KDE, Gnome and XFCE at the same time (enlightenment is there too)

I've been running (K)ubuntu 6.06 on my Notebook and I like it very much, I wasn't impressed that much with 5.10 but 6.06 is definitely very nice

If you want to use Kubuntu do yourself a favour: don't use adept but install synaptic, which is much better

some things that I don't like so much with ubuntu: there is no obvious way if you have a firewall on your system or not, iptables is onboard, yes and it works, but at first there is not even a minimal config-tool, second there is no gui-tool for managing pppoe/internet-connections, these are not big issues for an experienced user, but a novice is left guessing

Edited by lavaeolus

Some new ofspring of ubuntu is araising from the community:

Gen-bun-too : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=208595

and

Christian Edition: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2...hristian+ubuntu