Kubuntu 6.06

I am considering blowing Fedora Core 5 and installing Kubuntu, since I was given a nice shiney new cd. Is it good? Does anybody care? Fedora is really nice and very stable. I am still partial to urpmi. It is probably just my familiarity with it

You can install the real thing with the live CD.

I havn't tried Kubuntu, I'm pure Gnome user so I can't give you an insight, but here's a hint:

Other than Adapt (gui packager manager) sucks, get synaptic which Gnome uses by default. Firefox isn't installed by default (good and bad).

Kubuntu isn't so polished as Ubuntu, but a bird is singing it will be in the next release.

I havn't tried Kubuntu, I'm pure Gnome user so I can't give you an insight, but here's a hint:

Other than Adapt (gui packager manager) sucks, get synaptic which Gnome uses by default. Firefox isn't installed by default (good and bad).

I once uninstalled almost a complete system with adept because I wanted to uninstall some base component but it did show all the changes it was going to make, you have to click a separate button to see them :D

Bah, things are simple:

pacman -Sy gnome

installs gnome plus all dependencies.

pacman -Rs gnome

removes gnome completely, as well as all redundant dependencies.

Ooops, sorry- I forgot: pacman hasn't been ported to Ubuntu yet! :P

Edited by scarecrow

Bah, things are simple:

pacman -Sy gnome

pacman -Rs gnome

we don't need your distro evangalism :P

(in fact, i think it's kinda stupid to post that sort of stuff - obviously ubuntu won't ever have pacman, because it's debian-based so it uses apt-get, which makes your post completely irrelevant and useless...but that's just MHO ;) )

Bah, things are simple:

pacman -Sy gnome

pacman -Rs gnome

I discovered urpmi_rpm-find-leaves for mandriva which also finds all the junkfiles on your system, I managed to get rid of 500MB of files and stuff I forgot about and never use.

(in fact, i think it's kinda stupid to post that sort of stuff - obviously ubuntu won't ever have pacman, because it's debian-based so it uses apt-get, which makes your post completely irrelevant and useless...but that's just MHO ;) )

It would be more than stupid and useless, if apt-get had a meaninful way to remove redundant packages.

Sadly enough, it doesn't... (maybe aptitude does? dunno).

This is the one bad thing about apt-get, and the other one is that it will refuse to do anything if there are a couple of broken (and possibly unfixable, temporarily) packages in your system.

Ix if its any help I had Ubuntu 6.06 installed and for some reason decided to try or use Fedora Core 5 for a while. Been really fighting the temptation to reinstall Ubuntu simply cause I really don't have the time. Not that it takes all the long to setup, especially with using "automatix". Its the backing up of my /home in FC5. I will go back to Ubuntu pretty soon though. I miss the fact that you can just upgrade to the next release with a simple command. Not sure if that is possible in FC 5 yet.

Upgrading is possible in Fedora, too, but it is not without risks, as the Fedora developers add new experimental things pretty often and an upgrade can cause some weird behaviour. IMHO, Fedora dist-upgrades are only recommended to those who know how to troubleshoot and have the time to fix some annoyances later. Don't know if Kubuntu is less problematic for dist-upgrades.

It would be more than stupid and useless, if apt-get had a meaninful way to remove redundant packages.

Sadly enough, it doesn't... (maybe aptitude does? dunno).

This is the one bad thing about apt-get, and the other one is that it will refuse to do anything if there are a couple of broken (and possibly unfixable, temporarily) packages in your system.

apt-get -D :huh: