Need help with printer...

dmzeplin

I have reading different posts and tried them... None of them work for me... I am doing with CUPS, and I have no idea how it works....

Type Localhost:631

Click Add Printer
Here it is...

They asked for Name, Location, and Description....

My input is:

Name: HP OfficeJet

Location: file:///home/username/Desktop/HP-OfficeJet_T45-hpijs.ppd

Description: HP OfficeJet T Series

But come up with error:

Error:

The printer name may only contain up to 127 printable characters and may not contain spaces, slashes (/), or the pound sign (#).

I have HP OfficeJet T45 and it was work good with 2005 LE... with this Madriva 2006.0... it doesnt work?? Is there anyway more easier for me??

I have installed CUPS and CUPS-COMMON...

The most easiest way I find to add a printer is like this. Click System/Configuration/Configure Your Desktop. Then go into Peripherals and Printers.

Click the Administrator Mode button, enter the root password, and then add your printer in here. Much easier than using the web-based cups.

My input is:

Name: HP OfficeJet

Location: file:///home/username/Desktop/HP-OfficeJet_T45-hpijs.ppd

I'm afraid you misinterpreted the meaning of "Location". It doesn't mean "driver location", but rather just describes to the users where the printer is physically located. For example, "Adjacent to John Doe's room" would give an excellent "Location".

Description: HP OfficeJet T Series

Error:

The printer name may only contain up to 127 printable characters and may not contain spaces, slashes (/), or the pound sign (#).

It says that a printer name may not contain spaces. You've given the printer the "HP OfficeJet" name, containing a space. Just give an alternative name, with no spaces. "HP_OfficeJet" would go nicely.

The most easiest way I find to add a printer is like this. Click System/Configuration/Configure Your Desktop. Then go into Peripherals and Printers.

Click the Administrator Mode button, enter the root password, and then add your printer in here. Much easier than using the web-based cups.

Many thanks for replied... I tried this morning (Eastern Time) and found it said "Unable to create or retrieve as well". I did with administrator Mode button and entered root password.....

Since you said more easier than using the web-based cups, which means, I don't need a cups and to remove cups and cups-common? since my system is unable to create due to cups...

Another thing, I noticed there are 4 or 5 different on the bottom right where Administrator mode is... Which one should I select than CUPS?

Again, I think I saw my printer system set up /dev/lpo but when I add printer process, it said /dev/printer??

I will look up again when I get home... Thanks for your time and hope to get it done!

Since you said more easier than using the web-based cups, which means, I don't need a cups and to remove cups and cups-common? since my system is unable to create due to cups...

Don't remove it. You do need its core. You are although not limited to its web-based interface.

Again, I think I saw my printer system set up /dev/lpo but when I add printer process, it said /dev/printer??

It's OK. If you do "ls -l /dev/printer", you see that it's just a symbolic link to /dev/lp0. If on the other hand it's not, just type "/dev/lp0" instead of "/dev/printer".

Edited by chalex20

It's OK. If you do "ls -l /dev/printer", you see that it's just a symbolic link to /dev/lp0. If on the other hand it's not, just type "/dev/lp0" instead of "/dev/printer".

Thanks for helping... but still can't print yet... I believe this is my first time that need to set up since Mandrake 9.0 and Mandrake 10.1 it set up for me when I install upgraded...

What I did ls -l /dev/lp0:

[root@localhost username]# ls -l /dev/lp0
crw-rw----  1 lp sys 6, 0 Jul 12 10:43 /dev/lp0

Good ? Bad ? Maybe?

Also, when I went on Configure Your Desktop/Peripherals/Printers; Then I set up Administor Mode and entered as root:

The screen appeared quick!

Unable to retrieve the printer list. Error message received from manager:

Connection to CUPS server failed. Check that the CUPS server is correctly installed and running. Error: host not found.

I ignored it and tried to set up with configure it and tested it....

A print error occurred. Error message received from system:

/usr/bin/lpr -P 'Print to File (PostScript)' '-#1' '/usr/share/apps/kdeprint/testprint.ps' : execution failed with message:

/usr/bin/lpr: The printer or class was not found.

I believe I have set up wrong with Name; Location; and Description in Properties section. AND in Information section; I noticed Device and Model are blank.... No information yet from install driver?? If so, how can I install it since I have the software driver from LinuxPrinting.org... and PPD as well... I am not sure how to install the software driver??

Hope if my explain clear??