Audacity crashes as regular user, runs as root

camorri

Mandriva 2006. I installed Audacity 1.2.4b via URPMI. I had also installed 1.2.3 with the same results. If I try to run it as a regular user, I can load a .wav file or a .mp3 file. As soon as I press play, it crashes. It runs fine as root.

That leads me to believe this is likley a permissions issue. Here is waht I have tried.

I made sure my sound system is working with all other apps, XMMS etc. I turned off system sounds, as suggested in other posts. I'm running KDE, so Arts is disabled.

I'm running ALSA and my sound card is on the system board, it is an Ensoniq chip set. lsmod | grep snd shows:

lsmod | grep snd

snd_seq_dummy 2532 0

snd_seq_oss 31136 0

snd_seq_midi_event 5696 1 snd_seq_oss

snd_seq 46960 5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event

snd_pcm_oss 48960 0

snd_mixer_oss 16896 2 snd_pcm_oss

snd_es18xx 27208 3

snd_pcm 79784 3 snd_pcm_oss,snd_es18xx

snd_page_alloc 8392 1 snd_pcm

snd_opl3_lib 8672 1 snd_es18xx

snd_timer 20548 3 snd_seq,snd_pcm,snd_opl3_lib

snd_hwdep 6848 1 snd_opl3_lib

snd_mpu401_uart 5664 1 snd_es18xx

snd_rawmidi 19616 1 snd_mpu401_uart

snd_seq_device 6828 5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_opl3_lib,snd_rawmidi

snd 46116 15 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_es18xx,snd_pcm,snd_opl3_lib,sn

d_timer,snd_hwdep,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device

soundcore 7008 2 snd

I added myself to the 'audio' group. Still fails. I changed the temp directory to my home directory. ( saw this in another post giving problems). Still fails.

Checked the permissions of /dev/dsp/. Here is what it is set for.

ls -l /dev/dsp*

crw-rw---- 1 cliff audio 14, 3 Jul 11 14:36 /dev/dsp

I also installed watchdog, this is the message I see from a command prompt if I launch from there, and then press play.

PaHost_WatchDogProc: cannot set watch dog priority!

PaHost_WatchDogProc: killing hung audio thread!

Killed

I'm not at all sure why I see this message. I installed watchdog, never used it before. It has a config file I browsed through. I left it as it ariginally installed. BTW, I saw the same message before I installed watchdog. Took me some time to find out what watchdog is for.

Any way, I'm lost now as to what I can try to get this going as a regular user. Any suggestions???

Do other programs run OK with OSS selected as main driver? ( snd_pcm_oss should be listed as running after some "lsmod" ).

If you want to find why Audacity crashes, then:

su -c "urpmi strace"

strace -o /home /camorri/degub.txt audacity

(replace /home /camorri/ with your actual home directory).

Regards

Do other programs run OK with OSS selected as main driver? ( snd_pcm_oss)

Yes, I ran Xmms and Bmp using snd_pcm_oss. Both applications play sound using the oss support. I was unaware I could do that.

I had strace installed. I ran audacity from my user, and traced it. The trace produced about 3.3 meg of trace file. I had a look through it, but I must admit I don't know what I'm looking for. I did a search on the word 'error' and found about 5 instances of the following:

access("MARK:	 change_folder_and_display_error start file:///dev", F_OK) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
access("MARK:		 gtk_file_chooser_default_update_current_folder start file:///dev", F_OK) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
access("MARK:			 check_is_folder start file:///dev", F_OK) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
access("MARK:			 check_is_folder end file:///dev", F_OK) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)

Not sure if this is significant or not. It is a long ways before the program closes.

Can you give me some idea what to look for?

I also ran audacity from another user I have on the system. Lex suggested I create a new user. I did not this time. It fails the same way from another regular user. If it proves anything, I can make a new user, and post the results.

Thank-you for the help.

Lex sugested, because it easy. Audacity required

audacity-1.2.3-4mdk.i586

libid3tag0-0.15.1b-4mdk.i586

libwxgtk2.6-2.6.1-1mdk.i586

wxGTK2.6-2.6.1-1mdk.i586

Check Your system,

"snd_pcm_oss " ###this is not OSS driver, this is ALSA driver.....

and do not use alsa version 1.0.11, downgrade to 1.0.10 ...Lex

Edited by Lexicon

I checked out the packages I had installed. Audacity was file audacity-1.2.4b.2006.SoS. The other three packages I have are the same as Lex has recommended. I updated my media, removed the entries that got me the SoS packages, uninstalled 1.2.4b and installed audacity-1.2.3-4mdk. The results are still the same. Audacity crashes as soon as I press the Play button.

BTW, this is the version I started out with, it has consistently failed on my system.

snd_pcm_oss is indeed OSS emulation, but the sound server used is alsa.

Downgrade to where? Mandriva 2006 ships with alsa 1.0.9...

Can you check out which version of wxGTK2 you have installed? (Mandriva comes, for some reason, with both 2.5.3 and 2.6.1 - the 2.5.X series were horribly buggy, and your error message above is surely attributed to wxGTK2).

I have libwxgtk2.6-2.6.1-1mdk and xwGTK2.6-2.6.1-1mdk installed. Those are the rpm numbers. I'm not sure how to check the version directly form the program code. It appears to me as this is version 2.6.1.

Not usre if this is significant or not. When I run Audacity from a terminal window as a user, and it crashes, I see this message posted back to the terminal window.

PaHost_WatchDogProc: cannot set watch dog priority!

PaHost_WatchDogProc: killing hung audio thread!

Killed

What is "WatchDogProc" ? Is this part of the problem?

Edited by camorri

Yes, it's version 2.6.1, which is OK (I use 2.6.3 and Audacity 1.2.4, but not under Mandriva).

Try removing the SoS RPM, and installing 1.2.3 from the official Mandriva repo.

Then, find the file .audacity at your home folder (the dot on the beginning means it's a hidden file), and delete it. After that, run audacity again and see what happens.

Your messages are typical- factly it seems only Mandriva can reproduce them so faithfully! :P

See the bug report at Mandy's:

http://qa.mandriva.com/show_bug.cgi?id=16831

I've seen your post at the Audacity site, but you'd rather report the same at the Mandriva bugtracker, as the fault is on the Mandriva RPM's, not Audacity itself.

Edited by scarecrow

I downgraded Audacity to 1.2.3 last night, it failed then. I deleted the .audacity file in my home directroy, and it still fails. If I run as root the program runs normally.

Lex,

I removed myself from the audio group, Audacity still crashes the same way. I can import a .wav file, and as soon as I press play, down she goes...

:lol2: Fixed it! Here is what did it...

To be more precise:

- Change fle /etc/security/limits.conf

Line:

@audio - rt_priority 50

Into:

@audio - rt_priority 100

A big Thank-you to scarecrow and lexicon for your help.

Scarecrow, I followed the instructions in the thread you posted, as above. I had to boot the system. I can only guess limits.conf is read somewhere during the boot processs.

I added myself to the 'audio' group

Hier is bug. User must to belong to only Users group ....Lex

A user should have users as it's primary group, but a user can belong to more than one group.

Glad it worked... but it's rather a serious bug- normal security settings should not be so tight about audio applications' priorities.

Same applied a few months ago, when tight security settings were preventing OpenGL applications to run properly for nvidia card users. An experienced user would somehow work around it, but a new one would most probably pull all his hair out before figuring a solution...