Thought Proprietary Drivers got loaded on install?

Hello,

I just bought Powerpack 2006 and installed it on my Sony Vaio laptop, but when I run glxgears it get like 10 frames per second from the ATI 9700 Mobility graphics card.

What gives? I thought when you paid the for OS you got the ATI drivers.

Thanks

[moved from installing mandriva by tyme]

They are on the cd's, but your card may not have been properly detected. A lot of times with laptop video cards the laptop manufacturer may make slight modifications making it hard to properly identify. If you go into Mandriva Control Center (AKA Configure My Computer) you should be able to search for the ATI drivers under Software Configuration, Install Software - and install it from there.

However, it's better to grab the Linux drivers from ATI's site as you'll be sure to have the most recent version.

First of all, make sure your configured with ATI (fglrx). To do this, go into System/Configuration/Hardware/HardDrake. Click your video card and then the run config button.

If this is verified OK, then for the open source drivers, you need to do the following:

urpmi Mesa

it's case sensitive so type it as I have above. Then, add the following to the bottom of your /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Section "DRI"
Mode 0666
EndSection

Also, check near the beginning of the file in the Module section for a:

Load "dri"

and see if it's any better after a reboot. If not, you'll need the ATI drivers from their website. I get around 1200fps with my card with this, but the ATI drivers don't work for me. So you're best trying this first, because otherwise, after the ATI drivers install, it's hard to get it back to where it was. Or, make sure you take a copy of /etc/X11/xorg.conf before you install the ATI drivers, then it'll be easy to get back to where you were.

Thanks I did the Mesa thing and was asked for the PowerPack DVD to load/install 2 files which it did without an issue.

Silly/stupid question, but how do you edit the xorg.conf file from with Konsole? I keep trying to use edit then the remaining string but get no such command or something.

Oh my this is painful!

:huh:

Thanks a lot for telp

Another nice and friendly editor is nano:

urpmi nano

and then you can edit using:

nano -w /etc/X11/xorg.conf

to save, press CTRL-W and then you'll be prompted Y/N and then just press enter to save the file after this.

Midnight Commander is the best invention for CLI noobs since sliced bread... it does everything, and it does it very well.

And links2 (not links or lynx) off course, for fast and easy browsing the web from the command line. Now a console irc chat program and your ready to get help from anywhere when X is down :D

Well I tried the directions for Nano and made the changes mentioned and am still get little over 250 frames per so something is not right. What I don't get in all this is if I used Kiosk and installed the Drivers package/bundle why isn't the full capabilities of the video card being used if the right ATI driver was part of the downloaded and installed bundle?

thanks

If you can, please post your entire /etx/X11/xorg.conf file so we can take a look at it.

I don't know why Mandriva didn't automatically detect it and install the right drivers. Like I said earlier, sometimes it doesn't detect things correctly.

If you grab the installer from the ATI site you'll most likely have better luck (I'd hope, anyways).