Is it worth upgrading to KDE 3.5.3?

Emret

Hi,

This is my first post I think. I have however been here lots of times before. It's a greate forum.

As the topic says I am wondering if an upgrade to KDE 3.5.3 would be worth considering? I am currently running 3.4.2 and everything is working fine, no problems at all. If it's one thing I've learned during my time with Linux it is that if something is working do not try to fix it. However, when reading that KDE 3.5.3 would be much faster and have many bug fixes I was a bit tempted to try it. I am still considering it but there are a few things holding me back. I have found other threads in this forum describing how to go through the installation process. My question is:

If I follow the steps mentioned in the thread a few threads down, will everything be exactly as it was before upgrading? What I mean is will my Home directory be left intact or will it be erased? And my screensavers and windows decorations and stuff like that? And the shortcuts on the K-menu for my installed apps? I don't want to screw things up since I don't feel like reinstalling the system completely.

Welcome to the board :beer:

I would recommend not to. If you've not been using your system long, and don't have much Linux experience, you could experience a lot of problems. Even some experienced people have problems with it, and some packages causing grief and not working.

I tried it once for KDE 3.4 instead of KDE 3.3 a while back, and never again. Wait for Mandriva 2007 and it will have KDE 3.5.3

if you're looking for stability, then maybe just dont upgrade. but if you want to try the latest. then do it..

the only difference I feel between 342 and 353 is that on 353 (or beginning 352) you have the option to lock the icons on your desktop and on your task bar so it will not move when accidentally drag it.. which is not on 342.

I have 352 on my OpenSuse box and so far no annoying problem encountered yet.. but that's OPenSuse, not Mandriva..

personally, I dont have plans to upgrade to 353 on my Mandy 2006 which is currently used by several people here at work...

I'm using KDE 3.5.3 on my Fedora box, no problems at all,

and if you do a proper upgrade, you should have no problems too.

Alas I don't know what quality the unofficial Mandriva's KDE rpm's are, i.e., those made by MDE (Thac). In the past there have been issues with those.

So you can well try, but if something goes wrong, be ready to install the old KDE back.

Edited by solarian

• 2 weeks later...

I have done it a few times, the first time just days after installing linux for the time, it can throw you back to the command line or kill kde imput but useally things are easily fixable.

If it's woth it, don't really know as I only worked with 3.4.2 for a few days, I like 3.5.3.

Yeah we know! Mandriva isn't going to be a bleeding-edge distro, it's gone for stability and yearly releases. Put arch on a yearly release and you'll have the same thing.

Bit tired of hearing the comparison. You could even but Debian in this category too if you really want old versus new. Although, you can get "unstable" or "testing" to get something a little more up-to-date, but then you'd compare this with Cooker more or less.

3.5.4 is already around the corner for most "bleeding edge" distros- but Mandriva isn't one of them.

You do of course know that this could be considered trolling since you're on a Mandriva forum, right? ;)

Any distro that's on a point release cycle will fall behind from time to time. That's just how it works.

Final thoughts, I have used both mde and sos kde rpms. The potential for headaches is higher than having a great running system currently. If you like to mess and make it work, do it. The benefits are negligible. I have mde working fine (finally) on my desktop. My laptop is having odd problems with sos. If I switched them tomorrow, I could have a different set of problems. The kde released with Mandriva will be the best option.