Software Install in MCC

Counterspy

Having not tried it before, I decided to try the Software Install in the Mandrake Control Center. My first impression was favourable since it offered various ways of listing the software on the 3 CD's and my Mandrake Update site. I chose groups which presented a categorical list instead of Mandrakesoft's schizophrenic expert install list.

My disillusionment started when I discovered that software I had checked in the intitial install was listed for install and not updated from the Update site. (I have all three boxes checked in Update.) After checking off 500 Mb of software to be installed, the program proceeded to remove old software before the CD insertions and the download started.

Leaving it to do its job, I went off and did some other things and came back to see a screenful of KDE components that could not be updated because of a mammoth list of dependencies. I clicked ok and was promptly booted out of the whole install process including those programs that did not need dependencies. Now I don't know what is on the machine and only time will tell if the functioning of Mandrake has been affected.

I have rarely been so angry and disgusted at the hamfisted, incompetent and incomplete programs that Mandrakesoft foists off on its dedicated user base as innovations. I would need a lot of persuading for anyone to explain why the whole job was dumped instead of just the part that didn't meet dependencies. Never mind how the the dependencies were allowed to occur from within a Mandrake utility allegedly using urpmi in the first place. Simply put, this was a mammoth waste of time and exposed what appear to be critical holes in the install process aside from the deficiencies in the program itself.

And they wonder why the big boys don't take them seriously. The Club??????? Bankruptcy and unemployment, here they come.

Counterspy

I just encountered a similar problem with MCC. What I don't understand is how urpmi can do the job, but the gui messes up. I thought that I read they were using the same data base. So, I don't get it, either.

I agree! I don't get it either. I've never tried 500MB though for this very reason. Often it would do this with 70MB or so til I finally learned to do the following b4 a large install.

(yes...you've probably seen me say this)

Go>/var/lib/rpm with no rpm process running and delete any _db.0x files. Then

rpm --rebuilddb &&

> rpm -initdb

Then go to the Software Mgr. and proceed with a large install. Works for me. :)

Followup!

It hosed the entire system requiring a reinstall. I was able to get into the Gnome Start Screen. There is not a word of warning in the section on this topic in the Mandrakesoft manuals. I am still without printing on my HP All-in-one USB printer. It seems that every time a new technology rears its head, the XXX's at Mandrakesoft take two versions minimum to learn how to program it even when the manufacturer tells them how and releases driver software. Once again the power pack will consist of demo and freely downloadable software aside from some legitimate commercial software.

After all this, why do I stay with Mandrake, you might ask since I am constantly raking Mandrakesoft over the coals. It is because both the newsgroup and this site go miles beyond anything other distros offer (Debian excepted, that's my next) and light years beyond the Mandrake Club and most of the rest of their site. And I'll still be here when the judge bangs his gavel for the final time and after as Ben Reser's rant fo a takeover by volunteers becomes true with bankruptcy. Why we can even call it Lothar Linux after Mandrake the Magician's muscular sidekick and beat to pieces all of the other distros.

Did anyone ever notice that libparted is in the Mandrake Install list and Parted isn't?

Thank you people for the helpful suggestions. I won't be making that mistake again. Now off to read the latest in the cooker mailing list.

Counterspy

Counterspy, your posts just crack me up :lol: :lol: :lol:

" Mandrakesoft's schizophrenic expert install list. "

:lol:

"My disillusionment started " :lol:

" I clicked ok and was promptly booted out of the whole install process including those programs that did not need dependencies." :lol:

"

I have rarely been so angry and disgusted at the hamfisted, incompetent and incomplete programs that Mandrakesoft foists off on its dedicated user base as innovations." :lol:

" Bankruptcy and unemployment, here they come. " :lol:

With such a negative attidude, how do you manage to get up in the mornings?? :lol:

Please don't take my comments to heart, with tears rolling down my face, there is much truth in what you say, keep posting :wink:

I would prefer to think of it as a cynical attitude which has been there since Gr. 9 high school. My yearbook description that year was "Quite a debunker, an interesting guy", an opinion which I suspect is not shared by some. My cynicism was further honed when I got a summer job with the local CBC radio station as a technician. They paid my way through university and graduate school. After the first year, I went back for five more, and as I gained experience, they sent me on more difficult and challenging assignments. You don't work in the media even that long without becoming a cynic. The folks behind the scenes just never get a chance to say it out in the open.

I try to maintain an sense of humour when I write, otherwise I wouldn't be able to get of bed in the morning.

Counterspy

Counterspy, remember my recent post "lost my reiserfs /tmp"? I mentioned there (guess you missed it) that I installed parted from the cd's. It is there.

[bvc@localhost bvc]$ urpmf parted

libparted1.6:/usr/lib/libparted-1.6.so.0

libparted1.6:/usr/lib/libparted-1.6.so.0.0.3

libparted1.6:/usr/share/doc/libparted1.6-1.6.3

libparted1.6:/usr/share/doc/libparted1.6-1.6.3/TODO

libparted1.6-devel:/usr/include/parted

libparted1.6-devel:/usr/include/parted/constraint.h

libparted1.6-devel:/usr/include/parted/debug.h

libparted1.6-devel:/usr/include/parted/device.h

libparted1.6-devel:/usr/include/parted/disk.h

libparted1.6-devel:/usr/include/parted/exception.h

libparted1.6-devel:/usr/include/parted/filesys.h