Intel 3945ABG and ndiswrapper

So far I've done the following to get mandriva 2006 to detect my wireless card (Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG)

su to switch to root user

ndiswrapper -l this will list installed drivers

ndiswrapper -e followed by each driver listed to remove each driver

mdiswrapper -l make sure the list is blank

Download a driver for your card from

List - NdisWrapper

Use a driver from here if posiable as these are verified drivers, extract and save this in a folder Download for example

At the console prompt change to the directory where you copied the driver too

ndiswrapper -i filename.inf instal driver (Specify your driver .inf file)

ndiswrapper -l to ensure your driver is listed

Now you should see something like, showing your driver if not we have an issue!:

Installed ndis drivers:

bcmwl5 driver present, hardware present

now at the konsole enter:

ndiswrapper -m

depmod -a

modprobe ndiswrapper

Now I'm assuming I have to configure the wireless connection to retrieve the address information from the dhcp server? Is there some file I configure for this?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Guest Shadowduck

Do you have a driver disk for the card? I originally installed my netgear using ndiswrapper and windows drivers, all done through the config tool from Harddrake - I don't remember the details as it was a while back (possibly the first thing I did in Linux) but it was pretty straightforward, even for a Linux virgin.

The DHCP settings etc are all available through the Control Centre, there's a network configuration utility in there that's pretty easy to use. Haven't a scooby how to do any of that from the CLI though, sorry!

Of course, once I had the network running the first thing I did was download madwifi! :D

Now I'm assuming I have to configure the wireless connection to retrieve the address information from the dhcp server? Is there some file I configure for this?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Do you have Winblow$ on the laptop? I configure my wireless card with the same chipset by using ndiswrapper to install the winblow$ driver. Then I have to go to /etc/ndiswrapper directory and edit a config file which I don't remember it off hand. You have to put the card's MAC address and WEP and Network id into the file.

J.T.

The Mandriva Control Center does this just fine. But there are 2 things to do. The first is to install the driver or activate the device. The second is to setup networking on the device. All can be done using the gui.

• 3 weeks later...
The Mandriva Control Center does this just fine. But there are 2 things to do. The first is to install the driver or activate the device. The second is to setup networking on the device. All can be done using the gui.

I've tried the gui out with my heart content, but nothing works. So I have to fire up vi and edit the darn file. Other than that everything works fine.

J.T.