Firefox 1.5.0.4

kylefish44

Hi! I'm new to Linux, and I have never installed software on it before. I am running Mandrakelinux 10.1 Community w/ KDE. How do you install Firefox 1.5.0.4? I have managed to download the tar.gz file, but haven't been able to do anything with it beyond that. Any help at all would be appreciated.

Welcome to the board!

Instead of trying to install the tar.gz, you could just open Mandriva Control Center (aka Configure Your Computer) from the menu's, go into Software/Software Management, click on Install Software and do a search for Firefox. Note that this is version is of the 1.0.x series, not the 1.5 series. However, it has all necessary security patches and should work just as well.

If you have to have 1.5.0.4, you can double click on the tar.gz file (it's a compressed file, similar to zip files) and should open in a program where you can extract it's contents. You should be able to drag and drop them into your file browser in whichever directory you'd like. There should be an installer file (has the word "installer" in it's name) and you should be able to double click on that and it will run.

If you have any further questions/problems just ask ;)

If you "unzip" the tar file as tyme said you will find a single folder called "firefox" Put this folder anywhere you like, mine is in /opt. Running the command "firefox" from a terminal while you are inside the /opt/firefox folder will launch firefox.

The first time you run firefox you should run it as root, or it will complain.

open the file you downloaded, if you then see a folder called firefox inside, copy that folder to where you want to put it, ( I put mine in /usr/local/ )

Right click on the desktop, make a 'link to application' call it firefox or whatever you like, on the next tab in the 'command' box I think it is (not on linux atm) direct it to where you placed the firefox folder, and to the file inside the firefox folder called 'firefox' click ok, you should have a file on your desktop now called firefox or whatever you named it above. Double click that and you should be away.

Edited by jagwah

hmmm, Thats how I do it, and it works, I may be forgetting something, don't think so though.

I am just about to reinstall Mandriva dual boot with XP as I need XP for some programs, so I will be setting up firefox again soon. So if you haven't got it sorted by then, I will let you know if I forgot something. Hang in there, try not to get to frustrated....

(you could try right clicking on the desktop icon you created, and/or the file 'firefox' which is inside the firefox folder you copied earlier, there will be a check box that says something like "make executable" put a check in the box and see what happens, worth a try, can't hurt.)

best of luck, I'll drop back in after I reinstall and see how you went

start firefox from a terminal and report what it says.

What he means is run:

/usr/local/firefox/firefox

i apologize for my incorrectness in my earlier post. it's been a bit since i installed from the firefox tar.gz ;)

Again, I encourage you to use Mandriva Control Center. You should also use easy-urpmi to add more sources to install software from.

Well, I just put my my old hard drives that I have been using to test linux back in my second PC, they still had my last install of Linux, all I done when I installed Firefox was copy the folder to /usr/local/ and create a link to application as explained above, and that was it.

Try this, open the firefox folder you copied, press f4, then type in the following

./firefox

hit enter

don't forget the . before the slash

Edited by jagwah

you need libstdc++

be sure that you've used easy-urpmi to add the contrib repositories - it will give you instructions.

once you've done that, either run:

urpmi libstdc++

or go into Mandriva Control Center, under Software Management, to Install Software and do a search for libstdc++ and install it.