installing mandriva on dell latitude laptop

Guest atbash

Guest atbash

Ok i played around with this for a while before coming onto the forum. When I load up the 1st cd it goes into auto run and gives 5 or 6 options, among them, "boot from cd rom" and "boot from floppy". when i click boot from cd rom nothing changes, it does not even acknowledge the click. so i decided to make a boot floppy with the write program included on the cd. i get an error message with that and i believe the problem may actually be with my floppy drive so i'm ignoring that option for now if i can. i went into my boot set up screen and switched the boot order to make it boot from cd rom first then hard drive then floppy. doing that brings up the install screen on boot up. i can press f1 and get into the setup screen with the list of options and all. i can also click the install button and the graphic bar on the bottom loads up and brings me to a second blue page with the penguin in the corner and the graphic load bar on the bottom. but this screen freezes and does nothing. every once in a while i can hear some activity in the cd rom drive but nothing changes, and believe me i was patient. ok so that's my predicament. sorry for the long winded post but trying to be as descriptive as possible. i hope to get this going. thanks. :wall:

When you boot up with the CD, press F1 and enter:

linux noapic acpi=off

this should turn off acpi and apic, which can sometimes cause issues when you try to install on laptops.

Guest atbash

thanks for the idea. unfortunately after giving the boot instruction i still have the same problem at the load screen. i can hear that cd rom working in there but nothing changing on the screen and the graphic load bar stays empty.

There should be a key press that you can do to see the boot up messages (ESC or F1 i think - it should say at the bottom of the screen when it's booting/during the load screen). Look at the last thing listed and tell us what it is.