6 months on Mandriva 2006

null

:lol:

Well, maybe I could add quick* and use the asterisk to see the small print at the bottom :lol2:

*NB - can be quick if your hardware spec is good :D

I've actually found my home PC, Athlon XP1800+, 1GB RAM is really nice for Gentoo. I did install to a USB2 disk, but it was damn quick. I had it all finished within the hour. Some other hardware, that even had a better spec than this took longer :unsure: dunno why, just seemed to. Either that, or it was when I hadn't good experience of installing gentoo many times before I streamlined myself.

Of course, I'm as of the sources on the CD, but syncing portage and all that gets me up to date, in, well, a couple of hours or so depending on my internet connection speed, and erm, compile times. ;)

Where can one find this guide, because I'm itching to take a stab at trying to use Gentoo.

I'll dig it out now, and post it in Tips & Tricks.

It's geared and fixed to various things, like using grub, etc, etc, so newbies could follow it choosing the defaults I've gone for. For others, they can understand what each command is doing, and then go from there.

This one is currently only based on Gentoo 2005.1 though, before they added the gui installer with Gentoo 2006. I'm sure you can still get Gentoo 2005.1 though, and if you download the 2006 minimal, you can probably do more or less the same, except you have to download the stages from the internet.

Anyway, I'll post what I got now for you!

:lol:

Well, maybe I could add quick* and use the asterisk to see the small print at the bottom :lol2:

*NB - can be quick if your hardware spec is good :D

I've actually found my home PC, Athlon XP1800+, 1GB RAM is really nice for Gentoo. I did install to a USB2 disk, but it was damn quick. I had it all finished within the hour. Some other hardware, that even had a better spec than this took longer :unsure: dunno why, just seemed to. Either that, or it was when I hadn't good experience of installing gentoo many times before I streamlined myself.

Of course, I'm as of the sources on the CD, but syncing portage and all that gets me up to date, in, well, a couple of hours or so depending on my internet connection speed, and erm, compile times. ;)

You What :o

Last time I did it, it took me 8 hours on my box: AMD 64 Athlon 3200+ (939) with 2 x 512 mb DDR400 RAM (Dual chanelled).

Meh! :unsure:

I have to revise something I said earlier:

uprmi is pretty nice once you get it down pat. Did a urpmi.update -a, and then a urpmi --auto-select last night (took a couple hours). Went fine, no probs. Then a reboot to get the stuff situated properly (nvidia and whatever) and everything's upgraded...

Well, I thought... but now I've been told that this only does minor fixes/bugfixes to the SAME OLD packages. Nothing is a newer version like I first thought.

This isn't a mandriva complaint, but just a thing with "point releases" . I can't punish mandriva, because as a point release distro, its great.